About to get my first chickens!

Jenner

Hatching
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Ohio
Hello all, I'm Jen, new to the board and about to get my first chickens. For the last 2 years, we have been renovating our old farmhouse and finally, some of the work as moved outside! I am prepping to plant some pumpkins in the coming 2 weeks and getting a portion of my barn set up for my chickens!

It's a fairly large barn and was abandoned for a long time, so I have to prep to make sure all holes and windows are covered and safe. I'm really excited and have what I think are some good breeds picked out. I plan on making a small door so they can free range outside too, as we definitely have the room.

I can't wait for my own eggs, as I have been buying from a farmer a few miles away.

Anyway,I just wanted to introduce myself. Any tips? Fill me in! Can't wait to browse the boards some more.

Jenner

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Tips from my experience:

Take eggs out of your pocket before putting it in the wash

Don't let chicks outside of a pen when you are going to pick someone up (a hawk got mine, it was in my early days when I wasn't thinking)

Keep your eyes away from your chickens (they love to peck shiny objects, mine almost got my eye - it grabbed my eye lashes and barely touched my eye. I thank my guardan angel it didn't blind me in one eye)

Have your coop easy to clean and get into. You will need to get inside more than you think.

If you plan on getting 4 chickens you will get 12

Get an extra coop for sick chickens, unless you have a big dog crate you could keep them in, in your basement. The coop could just be a 2' 2' dog house, just something to get them away from your other hens, and a place where the other hens can't hurt them while they are sick

Don't hold your chicks around your cat and dogs (Whoops!)

Check out this for other tips other people have gotten: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598469/chicken-tips-take-a-tip-leave-a-tip

Back
Top Bottom