About to get some chicks....

Hi, I may be using the wrong thread to ask these questions but as a newbie with spotty Internet service and being busy preparing for my first chicks in eight years, I still am not great at navigating here for finding information. I guess I just need pointed in the right direction. My chicks are all doing well so far , different groups, my standard chicks are 4-6 days old and I just got tiny bantam chicks yesterday . A question I have is about bedding. There was a post on using sand and until I can get some I was wondering if white chert rock would be alright.? Also any homemade chick recipes that are really heathy? Maybe boost up my smallest Bantam. She's not been the strongest so I'm taking extra care with her. And I was wondering about using regular top soil as a bedding or just making them a small box to scratch around in. Also handling. They love it but not sure if it's to soon or how much with the bantams. Again sorry if I made a newbie mistake posting in the wrong place but they said it right," this site is like Disneyland " and with my home computer being down I am limited to my phone which is not always cooperative. Thanks
You're fine. I'm not sure what chert rock is, so have no idea. I only feed commercial chick starter. But I did start my chicks out with GroGelPlus. It was awesome. I had one chick that was just stumbling around and I was worried at first, would not eat or drink, but once I put the GroGelPlus in there it got interested in that and was fine. It is a vitamin and mineral supplement. I also add Quik Chik to their water. The only thing I know is do not use newspaper with chicks. It gets too slippery and they have trouble standing up, could cause spraddle leg.

Thab
You're fine. I'm not sure what chert rock is, so have no idea. I only feed commercial chick starter. But I did start my chicks out with GroGelPlus. It was awesome. I had one chick that was just stumbling around and I was worried at first, would not eat or drink, but once I put the GroGelPlus in there it got interested in that and was fine. It is a vitamin and mineral supplement. I also add Quik Chik to their water. The only thing I know is do not use newspaper with chicks. It gets too slippery and they have trouble standing up, could cause spraddle leg.
Thank you. I am using towels right now. Chert rock is basically what's on all the old unpaved roads here in TN. The old country roads. It's a gravel I suppose. Very small but not as tiny and fine as sand. Guess I've never really thought about what it is or exactly how to describe it. I'm feeding chick starter also and was giving honey sweetened water. The tiny one I just check on every 15 minutes and have gave her some crumbled boiled egg yoke and she/he is much stronger today. Thanks

Does anybody know about having different breeds of chicks together will they grow up to get along?

Breeds are a human creation -- chickens see other chickens. Some say not to mix bantams with standards or crested with non-crested, others say it's fine. Mostly, you have to look at things from a chicken's perspective. They will get along as well as space and hormones and pecking order disputes allow.

Does anybody know about having different breeds of chicks together will they grow up to get along?

Chickens of different breeds get along just fine. They're all chickens so the chickens don't know the difference. :)

There are only two real issues to be aware of in a mixed flock:
1) chicks (or adults) with feathered legs or crests may get pecked/picked on more, so just keep an eye on them to make sure this isn't happening
2) some breeds are more passive or aggressive than others, which may lead to some being picked on

Basically, just keep an eye on your flock dynamics, but problems due to mixed flocks are few and far between.

That is hard to say, depends on the breeds and the birds. Some will, some won't. I know that probably isn't the answer you were looking for. I have rocks, BAs, NHs, and 1 Partridge Cochin. Right now they are 1 month old and they get along well, but that is not a guarantee.

Back
Top Bottom