About to get some chicks....

Thanks. I did get some mealworms and crickets, for the first time. Boy was that fun to watch. If they eat those critters once or twice a day, do I need to add some grit now? And they are still on their starter feed.
Yes, I agree they do need the grit if they eat anything besides commercial feed to help them grind up their food and digest it.

Will you use any hay or pine shavings in the coop? When you use just sand, you can no longer use it as compost can you? and do you use DE in the sand as well? What kind of sand do u use? They will need just basic sand to help digest any food other than feed?

Will you use any hay or pine shavings in the coop? When you use just sand, you can no longer use it as compost can you? and do you use DE in the sand as well? What kind of sand do u use? They will need just basic sand to help digest any food other than feed?

The sand should be scooped out like a giant litter box, so it will be almost entirely manure with bits of sand stuck to it. It actually is better for compost than lots of bedding types as a result, and sand is good for lots of types of soil. I use play sand.

I'm confused.I'm not sure I understand your questions. I don't use pine shaving or hay - only sand in the coop. I plan to till the sand under in my garden, not planting this year. I will have a dishpan with DE for dust baths. I bought both play sand and some other sand, but I'm not sure about the other sand. I may need to take it back and exchange it.

Back
Top Bottom