About to get some chicks....

Well I used pine shavings last time which was fine, and I only had one chick who ever ate some and got pasty butt which was an easy enough fix. I was just curious on people's thoughts as I was thinking of trying actual wood chips this go around because they are bigger and they won't really be able to eat them as much, but I have heard it gets smelly alot faster. I am thinking of doing shredded paper for the first week or so and then changing it out to pine shavings so that they won't eat the shavings. My brooder isn't really set up to handle sand at the moment so I don't think that would be much of an option for me. Does make it sound really easy though. My first matter of business though is what do I do with the automatic turner in the incubator? Do I leave it in there or take it out for the last three days incubation?

So I was wanting to get everyone's opinion on something. When you have day olds what do you have them on. Pine shavings or actual wood chips?
I used paper towels for a week, then I took the paper towels out and have about an inch of sand at the bottom of the brooder. I plan to use sand in the coop so might as well get them used to it. I didn't want to start with sand because I was afraid they would eat sand and not food. So I used the paper toweling for the first week while they were learning what food was. Now they are fine with it.

Sand huh, never thought of that. Sounds easy to maintain, tho! We use newspaper or 'cheep' paper towels over TSCs Premium pine shavings. IDK if they have non-Premium shavings lol. Do they eat or peck at the sand too much?
I used paper towels for the first week to let them get used to eating food. I was afraid they would fill up on sand and not eat any feed. But after a week I quit using the paper towels and put about an inch of sand on the bottom of the brooder. scoops out with a kitty litter scoop.

I was told not to use straw as it has sharp edges and can hurt the chicks eyes. I use it in the grown up's coops though with great effect. I line the bottom with newspaper then put straw in. When i clean out i roll up the paper and lift it all out in one go.

???? I use chopped straw. No eye problems and aside from grabbing a chick and jabbing a piece in their eye, I don't see how injury could happen. It's pretty light and soft after a trip through the chipper.

Well I used pine shavings last time which was fine, and I only had one chick who ever ate some and got pasty butt which was an easy enough fix. I was just curious on people's thoughts as I was thinking of trying actual wood chips this go around because they are bigger and they won't really be able to eat them as much, but I have heard it gets smelly alot faster. I am thinking of doing shredded paper for the first week or so and then changing it out to pine shavings so that they won't eat the shavings. My brooder isn't really set up to handle sand at the moment so I don't think that would be much of an option for me. Does make it sound really easy though. My first matter of business though is what do I do with the automatic turner in the incubator? Do I leave it in there or take it out for the last three days incubation?

There is another header for incubating and I'm sure those folks would know. My guess is that it's less cleanup to take the turner out but you could leave it and just shut it off.

Sand huh, never thought of that. Sounds easy to maintain, tho! We use newspaper or 'cheep' paper towels over TSCs Premium pine shavings. IDK if they have non-Premium shavings lol. Do they eat or peck at the sand too much?
I was afraid of them eating too much sand too, but I posted here and lots of people assured me it should be okay, so I went ahead and experimented (with wood chips on hand in case I didn't like it). They like to peck around and scratch at the sand and even take dust baths in it, but I've never seen them just eating sand on purpose. Even when some feed spills, they pick up the feed from the sand and leave the rest it seems. Plus, now I don't have to give them separate chick grit--they just ingest a little sand once in a while, like when I give them treats and they fall in the sand lol.

I kept paper towels over it for two days til I was sure they knew what their food was so that might play a factor. :)

I was afraid of them eating too much sand too, but I posted here and lots of people assured me it should be okay, so I went ahead and experimented (with wood chips on hand in case I didn't like it). They like to peck around and scratch at the sand and even take dust baths in it, but I've never seen them just eating sand on purpose. Even when some feed spills, they pick up the feed from the sand and leave the rest it seems. Plus, now I don't have to give them separate chick grit--they just ingest a little sand once in a while, like when I give them treats and they fall in the sand lol.

I kept paper towels over it for two days til I was sure they knew what their food was so that might play a factor. :)
I really like this idea of using sand in the brooder. I am thinking of changing my brooder a little so that I can do it with sand this time around.

Hmm, more information. I've not heard about chick grit anywhere, I figured they didn't need grit or things like that until they get older.

Hmm, more information. I've not heard about chick grit anywhere, I figured they didn't need grit or things like that until they get older.
As long as they are eating only commercial feed, they don't need grit. When they start to eat other stuff, free range etc, they will need grit.

Back
Top Bottom