About to get some chicks....

TwinWillowAcres

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 8, 2012
I have a rabbit/small animal cage set up, 16"x24", with a feeder and waterer. I think I am going to start with 10 white leghorns & go from there. Just waiting for TSC or Southern States to get some chicks in
pop.gif

the floor space for chicks is 0.5 sqft per chick 1-2 weeks old then 1 sqft per chick 2-4 weeks then 1.5 sqft per chick 4-6 weeks then 2-3 sqft 8+ weeks old. Good luck and have fun!
jumpy.gif
+1 You can make a 4'x5' area out of cardboard boxes with a little inginuity and duct tape. Hang a brooder lamp at one end so that they can choose to sit underneath or away for less heat. Pine chips on the floor, fresh water, and chick feed. They will grow fast!

you do have your coop ready for when they get older right? Them boogers will grow out of that space in about a week. They need much more space ever as they grow.

To be honest, 16x24 inches isn't big enough for 10 chicks even as day olds. By the time you put in a feeder and waterer there will not be much room for chicks to move around. They need to be able to exercise but also to be able to get away from the heat lamp when they want too.

Our local TSC only has Buff Brahmas in right now. They don't know when they're getting more chicks nor do they know what kind they'll be. I haven't checked with Southern States yet, I was going to call tomorrow and see when their Chick Days start.

I figured with the waterer & feeder in there, each chick will have 32-3/4 square inches. The Merck Veterinary Manual says white-egg type layers need 25 square inches a head from 0-6 weeks. After that it's 45 square inches from 7-17 weeks. By then I will have something larger. After that it goes to 60 square inches. I'm sure I have enough room for the chicks. I can't expand it; the 'door' is on top and I also have it sitting on top of the dresser in the garage that I keep my sheep stuff in.

I don't plan on using a heat lamp. There is plenty of straw & pine shavings in the brooder that they can snuggle up. (Yes, I have seen chicks do this and they all thrived.) If it does get too cold though, I will put a desk light right next to it and shine it in a corner of the cage for the chicks to go to.

I have shavings on the bottom and a layer of straw on top.

Now the wait to get some chickens! I hope they get them in within the next couple of weeks. I'd hate to have to wait until April or May for them.

I cant imagine them doing them vey well without a heat lamp. Maybe inside after a few weeks of life...but not as day olds. I would highly advise having a lamp. First week of life needs to be around 95 degrees. In the coop with their mother, the mother would sit on them to keep them warm. The heat lamp takes the place of their mother.
Plan on them outgrowing that cage REALLY quick! I put 6 in a cardboard box a little bigger than that they are about 2 weeks old, they already need something bigger. So I will be working on that tomorrow.

Are all the chicks sold at feed stores straight run? Or do they have bins of pullets and straight run?

Back
Top Bottom