About to get some chicks....

Start with the 75 what now with a thermometer on the bedding under the light and see how hot it gets.
I use a 75 whatt and it is fine. I would also suggest putting layers of paper towels down for the first few days. They are pooping machines and they tend to eat shavings and straw. When they are a few days older I then swap out the paper towels. Good luck and enjoy.

Yes I checked with an infrared laser thermometer, there was one spot under the 60 watt lamp at about 88*. Getting a 75 watt tonight. And thanks, we will get some cardboard or paper towels for on top of the shavings. My wife said she bought the shavings because it was exactly what they were using at TSC. Pooping machines, lol.

Hey, be careful with those brooder lamps. Many barn fires start that way. I found that a 100watt bulb works just fine.
wink.png
Thank you for that! I don't want to burn down my house just to have some fresh eggs lol. I may get a 100 watt bulb tonight just in case the 75 ain't enough.

we use a large dog crate with a brinsea brooder and some cardboard taped around the crate to stop them jumping though the holes.
in the past we used a plastic crate with a removable lid. we put a hole in the lid and attached a ceiling rose. we used the red reptile bulbs in, reducing from 75 to 15 watt over a 3-4 week period.

Last edited:
Our local TSC only has Buff Brahmas in right now. They don't know when they're getting more chicks nor do they know what kind they'll be. I haven't checked with Southern States yet, I was going to call tomorrow and see when their Chick Days start.

I figured with the waterer & feeder in there, each chick will have 32-3/4 square inches. The Merck Veterinary Manual says white-egg type layers need 25 square inches a head from 0-6 weeks. After that it's 45 square inches from 7-17 weeks. By then I will have something larger. After that it goes to 60 square inches. I'm sure I have enough room for the chicks. I can't expand it; the 'door' is on top and I also have it sitting on top of the dresser in the garage that I keep my sheep stuff in.

I don't plan on using a heat lamp. There is plenty of straw & pine shavings in the brooder that they can snuggle up. (Yes, I have seen chicks do this and they all thrived.) If it does get too cold though, I will put a desk light right next to it and shine it in a corner of the cage for the chicks to go to.

I have shavings on the bottom and a layer of straw on top.

Now the wait to get some chickens! I hope they get them in within the next couple of weeks. I'd hate to have to wait until April or May for them.
Does the inside of your house normally stay around 90 or 95 degrees? Probably not. Day old chicks do not regulate their body temps well, at all. They really need an actual heat souce where they can go and warm up periodically as they need to, just as they would if a hen was raising them. I don't think a desk lamp is going to provide the warmth they require. The bedding will do nothing to warm them since they aren't good at warming themselves. Young chicks can stop thriving and die quickly if they are not able to stay warm enough. As mentioned, the first week they need to be at about 95 degrees with an area of brooder space away from the heat that is cooler. That is why a large enough space is important.

I'm watching mine right now, just came in today got2 easter eggers & 4 Silver Wynotte's bought at local feed suply store. Tractor supply had several breeds all in same bin mixed up, not sure about Southern states.

Yes I checked with an infrared laser thermometer, there was one spot under the 60 watt lamp at about 88*. Getting a 75 watt tonight. And thanks, we will get some cardboard or paper towels for on top of the shavings. My wife said she bought the shavings because it was exactly what they were using at TSC. Pooping machines, lol.

Thank you for that! I don't want to burn down my house just to have some fresh eggs lol. I may get a 100 watt bulb tonight just in case the 75 ain't enough.
I sure wish I would have read about the paper towels before I put my new chicks into their box tonight. lol Oh well...when I change the bedding tomorrow I'll be sure to do that.

It is funny how the OP didn't start out asking for people's advice and input, but they sure got a lot of it. They also said they used that set-up in the past with success. So, why do all of you folks feel you need to lay your wisdom on them? Can a person share their anticipation without getting the third degree?

It is funny how the OP didn't start out asking for people's advice and input, but they sure got a lot of it. They also said they used that set-up in the past with success. So, why do all of you folks feel you need to lay your wisdom on them? Can a person share their anticipation without getting the third degree?

Thank you.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom