About to get some chicks....

I also got some new chickies this week. My RIRs are starting to get older & the egg production has gone way down. Time to replace them. Anyway, instead of getting all one kind, I decided to get a mixture - 2 RIRs, 2 barred rocks, 2 easter eggers & 2 production blacks. Maybe I'll be able to tell these apart when they grow up.

Wow, reading through these posts has got me all twitchy to get my first chicks. But, I have not even started the coop so I'm trying real hard to stay strong and wait till I'm ready for them. Can't even think about starting the coop till the weather warms more and the ground thaws.
I've seen where others on here had to "rush" their coop building plans because the chicks grow soooo fast, so I don't want to make that same mistake. I've been talking chickens since last summer and I'm dying to get started but must remain strong.

LOL!

Yes, it is SO hard to wait! If you are planning to order chicks from a hatchery DONT wait, they are selling out REALLY fast! Last I saw they were already out to July! If you want them this year go ahead and get your order in...then plan to have the coop done by the time they come in.

I ordered my chicks two weeks ago but they won't be here until April 18th or 19th. So I guess I have no choice but to wait!
droolin.gif

It is really hard waiting but it is snowing here now and I don't really want to have to care for babies wading thru the snow to
get to them.
th.gif

What a beautiful brooder. I have the same situation . I'm getting 2 polish from a friend and they will be several weeks younger than the bantams I have in the brooder right now.i was thinking of making a chicken wire screen and using it as a temporary divider for a few days. The polish aren't bantams so they should be the size of them in no time.I keep you informed.

Thanks for the the complement my son and I built it. I have enjoyed the build projects as much as I have the chicks since starting this adventure. I PM'd a friend on here with tons of experience he said they may be fine to mix but should be watched closely for a short period as the bantams may pick on the lil ones. Putting in a divider is an awesome idea would solve my problem if I have one with the chicks. I believe my brooder will be plenty big for such a modification. Thanks for the idea!!!

It is funny how the OP didn't start out asking for people's advice and input, but they sure got a lot of it. They also said they used that set-up in the past with success. So, why do all of you folks feel you need to lay your wisdom on them? Can a person share their anticipation without getting the third degree?

From what has been said I don't think any of us were doing that at all. We are all a group of individuals that want her to have as successful and enjoyable experience as possible.
I know when I started out 6 years ago I was thankful for the advice I was given. I think some of us know from unfortunate experiences the feeling of disappointment when things go wrong.the first thing you do is question what you could have done differently.
I also have to say I have never been this outspoken on a thread . I love coming on BYC . I have met many wonderful people. I apologize.
Exactly. There is nothing sadder then seeing all the "Why are my chicks dying..." posts that show up here during chick raising season only to find out that many of them were totally preventable. Chicks are easy to raise but the few things they do need (heat, proper food, protection from elements and predators) are non negotiable. So yes, if I see someone that is potentially headed for trouble I will speak up, as much for them as for the sake of the chicks. I'd much rather see people have the best chance at having a happy, fun, enjoyable chick raising experience with the least amount of problems whenever possible.

Boy I can hardly wait I have what hatches out of 24 heritage RIR to pick up around the 20th of march. At present we have 5 assorted bantams in the brooder now, my wife just had to have. Lol they seem to be fine but I really worry about keeping the temps correct.

My brooder is 5' long 2' wide 18" deep the tops and front are open so alot of the heat will escape when it's been colder I've used towels to hold in heat a lil better. I'm really wanting to get it set up as best I can before I pick up my RIR's. I'm super jacked up about them. One ? I have is my bantams will be around 5 weeks old when I get my RIR should I be prepared to seperate them from the new chicks or would it be ok to keep them all together???
Hello topgunn!

I hatch bantams on a regular basis and from my observations they grow more slowly than standard chickens. At five weeks old there probably won't be that much of a size difference, depending on the individual birds, of course. I agree with what queenchick said, though. Watch them when they are introduced and for a few days after, but after a couple of days they should be adjusted to one another. Good luck!

It is funny how the OP didn't start out asking for people's advice and input, but they sure got a lot of it.  They also said they used that set-up in the past with success.  So, why do all of you folks feel you need to lay your wisdom on them?  Can a person share their anticipation without getting the third degree?

I actually read it they had heard of others using that method not used it themselves. Different thing.

As for the responses? Having done 4 chicks in a large birdcage I know that this setup isn't going to work for more than a week or so with a dozen chicks. I also know without a heat lamp there could easily be a high mortality rate. I Imagine everyone else who commented was thinking the same thing as me about their setup. If they say nothing it will be followed by a post asking why the chicks are dying.

Personally were I about to end up with a problem like this person refuses to see I would hope someone would tell me, not smile tell me everything is hunky dory and then shake their head at me when my back is turned.

People are trying to save the OP grief, their comments are given with the best of intentions and I would hope most people would appreciate the replies as attempts to help the OP not being mean to them.

Hello topgunn!

I hatch bantams on a regular basis and from my observations they grow more slowly than standard chickens. At five weeks old there probably won't be that much of a size difference, depending on the individual birds, of course. I agree with what queenchick said, though. Watch them when they are introduced and for a few days after, but after a couple of days they should be adjusted to one another. Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice. I've been brain storming and am thinking of making my brooder a duplex I have plenty of room underneath to close that area in and make a separate housing area within the same amount of space. Just in case I run into any issues. I also want to add casters to the legs so it can be moved easier. Also as chicks get bigger I can separate them as to not crowd them until they can go outside. Thanks again for the great pearls of wisdom

Back
Top Bottom