About to get some chicks....

It is funny how the OP didn't start out asking for people's advice and input, but they sure got a lot of it. They also said they used that set-up in the past with success. So, why do all of you folks feel you need to lay your wisdom on them? Can a person share their anticipation without getting the third degree?
I guess it's just the excitement of new chicks. Congrats, TwinWillow! Hope they are all healthy.

And also, remember the OP posted on post number 1 they were getting 10 chicks and planning on a 16 x 24'' space. Some people just thought it'd be thoughtful if they reminded OP that that space is rather small for 10. I really don't think OP got the third degree, we are all happy chick days are upon us and get carried away cluck cluck lol.

Maybe nobody should say anything except congrats to this OP and never comment on anything except what any OP says in post number 1? Forums are all about helping each other, I'm glad I got some unsolicited advice on this thread. I know I'm a newb here, but I've been a member on other types of forums for years. Conversations are fun, especially about anticipating new chicks.

Last edited:
Boy I can hardly wait I have what hatches out of 24 heritage RIR to pick up around the 20th of march. At present we have 5 assorted bantams in the brooder now, my wife just had to have. Lol they seem to be fine but I really worry about keeping the temps correct.

My brooder is 5' long 2' wide 18" deep the tops and front are open so alot of the heat will escape when it's been colder I've used towels to hold in heat a lil better. I'm really wanting to get it set up as best I can before I pick up my RIR's. I'm super jacked up about them. One ? I have is my bantams will be around 5 weeks old when I get my RIR should I be prepared to seperate them from the new chicks or would it be ok to keep them all together???

Part of having livestock is resesrching how to properly care for them prior to getting them. If Op dosent want advice just say" getting new chicks". If you look at other posts they say they have never had chickens :)

It is funny how the OP didn't start out asking for people's advice and input, but they sure got a lot of it.  They also said they used that set-up in the past with success.  So, why do all of you folks feel you need to lay your wisdom on them?  Can a person share their anticipation without getting the third degree?

From what has been said I don't think any of us were doing that at all. We are all a group of individuals that want her to have as successful and enjoyable experience as possible.
I know when I started out 6 years ago I was thankful for the advice I was given. I think some of us know from unfortunate experiences the feeling of disappointment when things go wrong.the first thing you do is question what you could have done differently.
I also have to say I have never been this outspoken on a thread . I love coming on BYC . I have met many wonderful people. I apologize.

Boy I can hardly wait I have what hatches out of 24 heritage RIR to pick up around the 20th of march. At present we have 5 assorted bantams in the brooder now, my wife just had to have. Lol they seem to be fine but I really worry about keeping the temps correct.

My brooder is 5' long 2' wide 18" deep the tops and front are open so alot of the heat will escape when it's been colder I've used towels to hold in heat a lil better. I'm really wanting to get it set up as best I can before I pick up my RIR's. I'm super jacked up about them. One ? I have is my bantams will be around 5 weeks old when I get my RIR should I be prepared to seperate them from the new chicks or would it be ok to keep them all together???

What a beautiful brooder. I have the same situation . I'm getting 2 polish from a friend and they will be several weeks younger than the bantams I have in the brooder right now.i was thinking of making a chicken wire screen and using it as a temporary divider for a few days. The polish aren't bantams so they should be the size of them in no time.I keep you informed.

OP I am sorry if I have sounded rude and seemed like I was saying you were doing it all wrong- but it is horrible to have chicks die- just wanting to make sure it is as enjoyable as possible!

I too apologize for unsolicited advice....If raising chicks without heat was sucessful, we all would be doing it. There are several threads of chicks dieing left and right, only to find out they have no heat source. We are not trying to be offensive...just hoping for the most sucess in raising happy healthy chickens.

hi OP
I too was just trying to show that you don't need big fancy brooders,that a dog crate would do if they grew too fast.
you mentioned an angle lamp. putting the reptile bulb in that would most probably work. cheap and cheerful works just as well as throwing money at the pet shops!!
good luck, we ARE totally excited for you. i love fuzzy butts, working out the different characters. who needs t.v. when you have a crate full of chicks?

We picked up 6 chicks from our local TSC last night. They are supposed to be pullets, but the employees have no clue what breed they are. I'm not sure how they can NOT know, they can only tell you the chicks *might* be one of 5 breeds. They had a trough with all yellow chicks (some already sprouting white feathers) and another trough with all reddish-striped chicks. It's not like the troughs had 50 different colored chicks in them. Of course, I may just be sour because of the crappy and rude customer service displayed by the TSC employee handling the chicks.

We have them in the house right now, in my daughter's old DIY hamster cage. It's working perfectly, but we plan to move them to a large metal water trough in the garage in the next few weeks. From there they'll get moved to a wire dog crate in the coop with the other hens, until they can be intergrated into the flock. The kids are loving having the chicks in the dining room, and so am I, because..... I didn't have to get a single kid up and dressed this morning - they all shot out of bed on their own and raced down to see the chicks. My BC also thinks they are great entertainment, and is spending her time giving them the classic BC "stare".

I ran an old broomstick thru the clamp on the heat lamp, and have the broomstick resting on the top of the chairs. It is wedged in and tied, so it cannot fall. With 3 kids, 4 dogs, and a cat running around the house, I wanted to make sure the contraption cannot be knocked down. The chairs are freaking heavy - they weigh about 75 lbs each, so I don't worry too much about them being tippy.

Hopefully this will be sufficient space for a few weeks, until or garage is a little warmer at night. The garage has a 14' ceiling, so all the heat goes up there, and it gets pretty chilly on the floor at night.

I got two new chicks from Family Farm & Home from the assorted bantams bin recently and I am so happy that I knew what breeds they are. They are porcelain d'Uccles and they are beautiful birds!

Back
Top Bottom