About to lay?

LilJoe

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 15, 2016
Missouri
Hey! I have two 5 month old brown leghorn pullets that I believe are soon to lay. Their combs are bright red and the squat when I put my hand over their backs. Today they have been very noisy and was thinking they were trying to find a place to lay. I've watched them from a distance and they haven't layed any eggs. Also, a few days ago they both checked out the nesting boxes. One even picked up some of the shavings in there and placed them somewhere else! Just wanting to know if you guys have any tips or if you may know about the time they may lay.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Here's one of them!

Not the best picture but...
1f615.png

2 of my girls were acting strangely moving the straw to one corner of the coop. So I put the nest boxes in there with ceramic eggs and the next day a hen was singing the song. But she didn't lay, she was looking for a place. So I put her in the nest and 30 minutes later she laid her first egg.
And the next day the other laid her first egg. Still waiting on 3 others. GC

2 of my girls were acting strangely moving the straw to one corner of the coop. So I put the nest boxes in there with ceramic eggs and the next day a hen was singing the song. But she didn't lay, she was looking for a place. So I put her in the nest and 30 minutes later she laid her first egg.
And the next day the other laid her first egg. Still waiting on 3 others. GC
Awsome!
263a.png
I'm probably using golf balls since there's no wooden or ceramic eggs near hear. What does the 'song' sound like?

Like a Bwaking sound because they've been doing that all day? Anyways congrats on your fist eggs!

Last edited:
It sounds like bocbocbocbocbocboc BAGAWWW.
Google egg song video.

If you are free ranging, they may have laid out in the range area.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom