About to make my first chick purchase, would it be ok to get a hen at the same time?

JustAileen

Songster
6 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Hi all, first question here. :) I have looked around and haven't really seen the answer to this particular question, but I'm seeing a lot of threads about how introducing chickens quickly isn't a good idea. I was hoping to get 3 chicks this weekend (yes, it's Easter, but we have been aiming to get some chickens for a while now and the timing is right). We'd like to also get a hen, so we can have eggs sooner. Technically, I think our limit is 3 hens here in the city limits, but it's a relatively agricultural area, I don't think anyone's going to say anything about a 'mama' and 'her' 3 babies. Does anyone have any advice on how to introduce them? Or when? Also, we're in a super warm climate, it should be 80's here this week. I'm assuming I still need to keep them (the chicks) in the box with a light until they are a bit older? I have this sweet vision of the hen adopting the babies as her own, but I realize that's not really how it works usually. ;)
Thanks for being gentle with this newb. ;)

Last edited:
If the hen happened to be broody, and accepted the chicks as hers, it would be fine. Otherwise, there is a good chance she would kill the chicks. I would not try this even if I purchased what was supposed to be a broody hen unless I had a way to house them separately for about 4 months. Even an already broody hen might "break," or stop being broody, just from the move.

Well. Glad I asked! :D I do have the room to house them separately, and I'm building the future coop today, so I can make a separating wall no problem for when they get big enough to go in the coop. I guess what I need to figure out is if having immediate eggs is worth the trouble of keeping them separate, and I'm leaning towards "No".

Aw, gee, why not, then? Granted you'd need two feeders and waterers, but how much else would be different? You could feed the older ones whatever you feed the chicks. Just have a bowl of oyster shell on the side, if they feel the need for the calcium. Even if you feed medicated feed and the hens are laying, it's OK to eat eggs when the hen is eating feed medicated with amprolium. If I had the room, I think I'd want my eggs now as well as later!

Obviously, up to you....

i still have not had a problem with chicks and older hens...maybe its just my environment but I didt all the time.. when I put them together it was in morning outside and they just seen eachother...

Hi all, first question here. :) I have looked around and haven't really seen the answer to this particular question, but I'm seeing a lot of threads about how introducing chickens quickly isn't a good idea. I was hoping to get 3 chicks this weekend (yes, it's Easter, but we have been aiming to get some chickens for a while now and the timing is right). We'd like to also get a hen, so we can have eggs sooner. Technically, I think our limit is 3 hens here in the city limits, but it's a relatively agricultural area, I don't think anyone's going to say anything about a 'mama' and 'her' 3 babies. Does anyone have any advice on how to introduce them? Or when? Also, we're in a super warm climate, it should be 80's here this week. I'm assuming I still need to keep them (the chicks) in the box with a light until they are a bit older? I have this sweet vision of the hen adopting the babies as her own, but I realize that's not really how it works usually. ;)
Thanks for being gentle with this newb. ;)

These chicks are three weeks old and being introduced slowly
some hens are easier going then others ...
smile.png

Sometimes they attack the newcomers viciously, and sometimes the chicks just become part of the flock. I once had a broody accept then reject some day old purchased chicks. I found the chicks scatttered around the coop, in various corners. The rest of the flock was ignoring them.

You just never know.

Thanks all! I put off getting them, I'm going to wait a week or so to see if some get turned in to the humane society after Easter. :)

Back
Top Bottom