about to order more chicks... wyandotte questions!

noitulover

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Central Virginia
are wyandottes more aggressive? i've heard some mixed reviews... and i'm sure it depends on a number of variables (what kind of stock, how much they are handled, etc.)...

but i'm wondering what the basic temperament is... (leghorns have a tendency to be flighty; RIR roos tend to be aggressive; BOs tend to be docile, etc.)

When I first put my wyandottes in with my older girls (at around 12-14 weeks of age) one of the GLW's immediately challenged the boss hen. She put the youngster in her place and never had another issue. My SLW and Blue W. take turns being low man on the totem pole...don't know about the roos....

Hi,

In my first-ever flock, I have 5 hens that I have raised from day-old chicks. One is a golden-laced wyandotte and another is a buff orphington.

Neither of them likes to be handled, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I was trying so hard not to stress them out when they were chicks that I didn't play with them enough. The GLW is adorably slow and calm--not the brightest chicken in the coop but never aggressive. The BO is the most "aggressive" chicken I have (the others are a Red Star, a Black Australorp, and a Plymouth Barred Rock). She is in serious contention for top of the pecking order, and she hasn't been nice about it.

Like everyone else, I read that BO's were a docile breed. But I think it's important to remember that individual birds may or may not fit the mold. One other thing: the GLW is BEAUTIFUL with a lovely round shape and striking feathers.

Hope that helps!

These are our first wyandottes (a SLW and GLW) and the GLW is number one in the pecking order. That said, she's not nearly as mean as most of the other birds. I swear our SLW is cross-eyed, but I love her to pieces and she doesn't show a whole lot of aggression, sometimes it's hard to figure out where she sits in the pecking order... but I know it's rather high. She has one bird she doesn't like and that is the only bird she'll go after, but the other bird has to get her really, really irritated (mostly by trying to eat her food).

We thought they would never outgrow their ugly stage, but they are some of the most beautiful birds. I love their coloring and their big ol' feathery butts.

They don't like being handled as much as the other birds, but you can still pick them up regularly. I'd also say that ours are more food-crazy than some of the others. The GLW will and would do anything for yogurt.
tongue.png

Don't know how typical their behavior is, but they sure are beautiful birds.

I have had nothing but trouble with my SLWs... of the 11 I ordered from Ideal, i have 2 left. they drowned, got eaten, strangled themselves and lost battles with my goose.... very disappointing. Ideal has given me such wonderful other birds, that I truly believe that the SLW breed is maybe just not for me.... just my 2 cents... but, the 2 I have left are gorgeous, and fat and everyone comments on their feathering...

Quote:
thank you!

and you're so right... we have 3 BOs and 2 are fairly docile, true to their description. 1 is a very "greedy" chicken. will do anything to be first in line at the food bowl or to the scratch.

thanks so much everyone!

I have 3 GLW's, hand raised with 3 RIR's and 3 EE's, all bought at a feed store at the same time. The GLW's are the least friendly of my birds, not mean, but just very stand-offish. The EE's and RIR's are very friendly, not skittish at all and will approach me for pats on the back.

My 3 different colors of wyandottes are great. I think you are right tho that a lot depends on where you get them. They are friendly calm birds and not flighty or mean at all.

Back
Top Bottom