About to set eggs...Please advize on humidity...

Well, now that I set my first batch of eggs, I'm not obsessing about getting my first egg from the girls anymore...Now I'm obsessing about the baby chics AND the first egg!! What was I thinking...LOL!

Quote:
I am going to set mine tonight I think, if not tomorrow morning. My eggs came in this a.m. & have been resting. My humidity had been about 27 - 45 & now it is about 39 & holding. I had to play with the water levels...using napkins to get some out then using a turkey squirter basting thingy to ad more H20. I hope 39 is OK, that is why I haven't oput them in yet, wanted to make sure it held steady with no severe fluctuations.

Ohhh, a hatching Halloween? FUN!
Cyn

Quote:
I know what you mean!
lol.png

Cyn, is this your first time hatching? I think it's really neat that there's a few of us first-timers all setting at the same time!

On a side-note...my oldest daughters have told me that they won't be able to eat eggs anymore. They said that they can't look at an egg and not see it as the baby it could become!

I'm trying to involve them in each step (including building the coop and brooder) We're using this set of eggs as a homeschool project too...so they'll be learning where each of the different breeds are from (locate them on the map) learn about the breed, the care needed etc. I'm going to have them keep a day by day journal with pictures that they draw (at least when we candle the eggs) of the developement. It's also a really cool anatomy lesson!

My 11 yr old spent a good chunk of her b'day money and is trying to build a styro-bator of her own!

Sorry for the off-topic add-on...but I just think this whole thing is just too cool!
thumbsup.gif

I think it's good that your girls are so excited. My 11 year old decided that she was going to keep a journal, too. She started it last night. She even asked her teachers if she could get extra credit if she writes a report.

Can you believe one teacher told her no because she already has too much work to grade...I thought teachers were supposed to be encouraging.

It's unfortunate the way most school systems have ended up. It's one of the reasons we've decided to homeschool.

Okay...so my humidity went up to 50% again...so I mopped up some water and it's come down to the 46% range. We'll see how it ends up overnight. The heat has been excellent throughout. It was back up to temp within moments of opening the top! (when I took some water out)
I sooo want these babies to make it...
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

How's everyone elses humidity/temps doing?

Hey UrbanMama! We are doing the same thing with our eggs! We put 8 mutt eggs in the 'bator for the kids science project. They are really enjoying it!

ETA: my temps have been ranging around 99-100 and humidity has been 35%-40%

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom