About to set eggs...Please advize on humidity...

UrbanMama

Gone Country....
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
Massachusetts
I bought a genesis hovabator and it's been working beautifully. The temp staying almost exactly 100 degrees...but the humidity is staying at 56-57...is that okay? Can I go ahead and put the eggs in or is that too high? I thought the humidity in the first days should be somemething like 35-45? Arghhh! Please help...I so badly want this to come out good...

Thanks to all for all of the wonderful advice so far....you guys are the best!

Last edited:
56-57 I think is to high, Do you have any water in there ? If so I would remove it all !!!! I keep my hum at 30-40 day 1-18 and up it to 55-65 on day 18.... If you put them in with the hum being that high they might not lose the weight they need to and could also drowned.... If you have no water in there you could try a de humidafier (sp?) that could help get it lower.... Good luck and keep us updated !!!

Hi there, another massachusetts member! yea! I hope I can start meeting some of you.
I am sure others will chime in with advice, but I never set my humidity that high in the beginning.
You do want it in the lower range you mentioned. It will get higher later in the hatch, especially during the hatch.
Not sure how to fix this, someone will see this when I bump it up.

I will be setting my eggs tomorrow, too. And, I also have the genesis. I had the same problem at first...humidity too high. I found that about 1/4 cup water, maybe a little less, keeps my humidity around 45%.

What kind of eggs are you setting? I've got 16 BR eggs going in.

Good luck!!

Thanks guys!

I'm going to go and take some water out and see if that helps....does it matter that my probe thingy is just sitting on the turner? I forgot to look for the wiggler at the store today....grrrr!

Natalie, I'm was surprised to see all the people from MA on here! (& the general New England area)

Kim, I'll be setting 16 buff orpington eggs from Jody. (I was initially going to start with quail...but chickened out because of the licensing issues) I'll probably start my eggs in the AM too...so we can be hatch buddies!

I'm going to go take out that water...or at least most of it!

Yes, we need to be hatch buddies. I need all the help I can get!!

I'll probably set mine before I leave for work. Want to do it now, but need to let them rest first.

What did you decide to do as far as humidity? The more I read, the more confused I got. I think I'm going to leave mine at 45% and see what happens during this hatch.

Good luck!

Your humidity is fine at 45%. It is also ok at 50% a little high but ok. You want it to be between 40 and 50% for the first 18 day's, day 18-21 needs to be between 60 -70%.

It is also fine for your probe to be on the turner. Just do not set it under the wafer(heating element). I alway's have mine on the turner. I never use a wiggler either. I have had pretty good hatches so far!!

Kelly do not add any water right now. Just let it ride and see what happens in the next couple of day's.

GOODLUCK HATCH BUDDIES!!!

OKay.....so I dried up all of the water....and it's staying steady at 51-52...Arghhhh! Now what? Pull the plug? I guess we have humid air??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom