? about using natural roosts. IE tree branches.

The first one is like a step, then i put the two smaller ones together which to me look more comfortable for them, I then went thicker as I went up. I did replace the the third one up with a pretty thick branch.

Is there any type of wood that should be avoided for use as a roost? I have a pine tree that needs trimming, and the branch is a very good diameter, but I think I heard somewhere that you shouldn't use pine in a chicken coop?

I use Pine, I don't see why not. People use pine shavings all of the time, You may be thinking of Cedar.

Thank you, Joe, for your reply. I posted this same question in about 5 different "roost" threads, and you're the only one who responded. Now that you mention it, I think it was Cedar that everyone was warning against.

So, now I have a splendid natural roost - I think my birds will be pleased with it.
yippiechickie.gif

I used branches for a year and them took them out. Two reasons: over time they wore down the bark and the roosts became so slick they struggled to get their balance. Any slight squabble and someone would fall off only to start the whole process again.

Second reason, the branches weren't straight and so nobody wanted to sit on the section with the biggest dip/slant. I guess it is pretty uncomfortable to sit on a slant all night, especially after it got slick.

I changed to a board that is only 2.5 inches wide. It works fine, even for my giant barred rock rooster. Nobody is falling off the roost anymore!

Back
Top Bottom