Above eye severely swollen - Please Help! -

I stuck my hen with a syringe needle twice and always drained clear liquid but the lump grew right back, mine hen also had some puss in her mouth after surgery and I ended up feeling so bad for her I put her down.

Ok i hope this helps, ive just been speaking to my boss (a pharmacist) he said if you are going to treat her yourself and lance it here are some good pointers.

Place a warm face cloth over the eye for 20 mins, keep moving it round so no cold is on the eye. Sterilize the head of a pin or needle with alcohol or a flame. Poke a hole in the head of the abscess, and allow the pus to drain. You may need to apply pressure to get the pus to drain. Apply antibiotic ointment once the pus has drained, and bandage the abscess. Bacitracin ointment is commonly used as a home remedy. Continue using warm compresses a couple of times a day for at least 3 days to ensure all the pus drains from the abscess. Dont squeeze the abscess as this will spread the infection to somewhere else. Hope this helps hun.. I feel for you as ive been there many times before.. Im lucky ive got a good boss who loves animals lol..xxx
My ladies are, 3 silkies, 2 sussex, 2 buff orpington, 1 white star, 3 silver laced, baby polish frizzle who is sooo cute. 1 x BR Called Scruffy! 1 x Lavander Araucana Cockeral Called Boo....

Thank you all for your replys.

I am going to try and lance it now.
hmm.png

I will keep you posted.

I would like to know if anyone has had this, found it to be solid and kept the chicken for it's natural life. Did it spread to other chickens with time? I have a banty that developed a smooth nodule 5 months ago involving her eye. I tried antibiotics without success then lanced it wide open and found it to be solid. We didn't cull her as she was my daughter's favorite. We took her to the vet who said he wouldn't try to excise it because the surgery could blind her in both eyes because birds have such a short optic nerve. So we have her penned off and the nodule has continued to grow and now she has a second nodule in her neck as if she has metastatic cancer. Or a granulomatous disease. I'm hoping that I haven't contaminated my coop with a slow growing but contagious granuloma causing organism. Haven't read anything in bird diseases but I know other animals have similar diseases. (caseous in sheep). Anyone heard of or seen anything similar?

Ok, it didn't go according to plan.
I tried to use a syringe and drain the puss out but not much came out, only blood.
sickbyc.gif

Why would this be?
I really don't want to have to cut it open and flush it out as I'm afraid I might damage her eye or worse.
Although there is no vet around here that is willing to lance it for me, I might be able to take her to another more experienced chicken owner that I know.
Wish me luck.
fl.gif

Quote:
If you can get hold of a sharp scalpel and be brave, then a deep poke UPWARDS ) should give you a good clean way to clean out the puss. This might go away on its own, but will compromise the chickens health while it is absorbed... Think of it as a deep paper cut on your finger.... The chicken will heal faster. Good luck

Thats exactly what happened with my hen, blood and little clear liquid puss. It stunk real bad the first time it was popped as well. I do think the right thing is to lance (full cut) and remove the infection but it is typed then done. Good luck, hope she pulls through.

Back
Top Bottom