Abscess/cyst/tumor??

Birdmom2020

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Yadkin river area NC
I got this girl 3 yrs ago. The people I got her from said she was about 3-4y old. So I'm not sure of her exact age. She stopped laying the year we got her if that helps.

I noticed this today. Sorry the pics kind of suck. But it's a marble sized lump. She's eating and drinking normally and she's as active as she always is. But her beak is looking like it's turning black as well as the lump. Thats what scares me..

With her age my husband thinks it's best to put her out of her misery. But I'm not sure 😩

Any info or suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20230425_214258120.jpg
    IMG_20230425_214258120.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230425_214309781.jpg
    IMG_20230425_214309781.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 1
I'm sorry about your hen.

Is there a bad odor?
What's the inside of the beak look like - any lesions, canker, yellow or white pasty material?

Hard to tell what's going on there, clearer photos may help.

If there's a bad rotten odor, then Canker may be the problem. Canker is contagious, but could be treated with Metronidazole.

Cancer is something else that comes to mind as well.

Very possible it's something else altogether.

If you determine that she's in misery or that she needs to be put down, getting a necropsy/diagnostics through your state lab will give you the best information as to what the lump is.

I didn't notice an odor while holding her. I'll try to get better pics of her today. Didn't see anything other than the dark/black on the inside as well as the outside. I'm going to look into some of the things you mentioned. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom