Absolute NEWBIE!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kiki1956, Jan 13, 2014.

1. kiki1956

kiki1956 New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    Hi Everyone!

I just got the go ahead from my husband that we could start our little chicken farm. We purchased a large lot in Mexico and are starting to build our home there right now. Because we would like to be self sufficient (well I do) and want to know what we eat, we want to have chickens (eggs, meat, composter), goats (milk,cheese, butter, meat, composter) sheep (wool, milk, cheese, meat) and horses (fun). I am unsure about a cow, but it really depends on the goats and the milk we can get from those.

We (I) are starting with the chickens, because it seems easier this way. I have read a lot about raising chickens, which type are the best eggs layers - don't really want them for meat right now - chicken coops, tractors, etc.

I feel a little overwhelmed and do not really know how to start properly. I know I need a house for the chickens first, but because right now we are renting a house, I was thinking of starting with a chicken tractor type coop, and then build a proper, permanent one on our land.

I would appreciate any and all advise on how to do the start-up properly. I have to add here that I have never done anything like that before. I make my own bread, butter, yogurt, kefir (water and milk) and cheese, do all the canning and fermenting vegetables, but I buy all the products to make it from (mostly) organic producers. I am a little concerned with our dogs - we have two adopted strays, so we do not know exactly where they came from. One is mid-size mixed breed and has a non-functioning hind leg - a gift from my dog-loving friend - , the other is a dachshund (she is a purebred and a little crazy).

Will I have to worry about those two with the chickens? Since I do not plan to have them run free, only in the confines of the tractor, I was thinking it would be ok?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Henriette

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I really recommend reading thru the Learning Center, https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center it has a ton of great info regarding feeding, coops, health, etc. I 100% recommend that your dogs and chickens are kept completely separate, I learned the hard way with my previous flock. Chickens are irresistible to dogs, they flap their wings, squawk and run like big chew toys. Also, when building your coop/run make sure to build bigger than you think you need, chickens are addicting! Use 1/2 inch hardware cloth rather than chicken wire, chicken wire keeps chickens in but most predators can rip right thru it. Most of all have fun with it, I love my chickens :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy your new venture! You will find chickens to be a very rewarding path in life. Enjoy BYC!

4. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Welcome to BYC!

Warning...chickens are addicting.[​IMG]

Glad you are joining us.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Congratulations on your new home, and good luck at your homesteading.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you onboard with us [​IMG]

Sound's like you found a way to keep busy in life [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree dogs and chickens should be kept well apart. Doxies especially have a strong prey drive and are fantastic diggers - she would dig under your tractor and help herself to lunch., maybe even share extras with your other dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by