Absolute nightmare..PLEASE HELP!

Chickenkeepr

Chirping
May 5, 2015
Watertown, NY
It all started a few weeks ago when a fox got into my coop and killed 9 of my hens. That left me with 4. I then purchased some laying hens from a local woman only to discover when I got them home that they had favus, one has a respiratory infection, lice, scaly leg mites, worms, and a pullet came down with coccidiosis. They have all had Wazine, been dusted for lice twice now, and the pullet was successfully treated with Corid. I got rid of the ones with favus and the one with the respiratory infection the same day I brought them home (gave them to someone who had the ability to quarantine etc. I have NEVER in my 3 short years of being owned by chickens, had more than a bit of a cough in some young chicks. Now ALL of them are coughing, snotty, wheezy..they sound just like the one with the respiratory infection. Could it be that I didn't catch these ones starting to come down with it and now it's full blown? Or could the incubation period have been around 21 days for this? I'm so sick of treating these girls, and tossing eggs I don't even enjoy them anymore. I now have them all on Oxytetracycline at a dosage of 2.5tbsp per gallon of water (found the dosage here). They've been on it for 3 days and they aren't sounding better yet. When should they start to sound better? Everyone is active, and eating and drinking well. Also, what's the best way to get rid of the scaly leg mites? I have NO idea how this insane, crook of a woman passed her NPIP certification, she's blasting it all over facebook. My guess is that she only had them test one of her flocks (she said she had one at her home, and one at another property). Needless to say, I'm blatantly telling everyone to steer clear of her.

I'm so sorry for all your troubles! I think I have heard Vaseline will help with leg mites. Praying your hens heal up!

Thank you. I'll do some more research on the scaly leg mites. I just would have thought I would see some improvement in the breathing by now. It's been 4 days now and they still all sound like they're purring.

Nu-Stock...

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/pierces-nu-stock

https://www.amazon.com/Duvet-001-0530-Nu-Stock-Ointment-12-Ounce/dp/B000HHSIYQ

Some feed stores stock it, also. It's good for a LOT of things.

Scaly mites...Liberally applied. @Beekissed rehabbed a mal-treated flock a few years ago and used Nu-Stock on their *very badly* infested legs and feet. Very good results were seen. The old scales will begin to lift and new ones will replace the old eventually. Do not "help" the scales fall off...let them do it by themselves. I'm thinking she may have used a couple of applications of the Nu-Stock a week or two apart.

Best wishes,
Ed

Castor oil rubbed into the leg scales once a week or as needed is also good. Many soak the legs first in warm soapy water first, and use an old toothbrush to gently scrub the legs.

They seem to finally be responding to treatment. I haven't heard the rattly, wet sounding coughs in 4 days, only the occasional light sneeze. I did notice after I stripped the coop on Friday that there was poop under the roost that turned the shavings green around it. I started them back on vitamins/electrolytes and probiotics. Is this a side effect of whatever they had or the antibiotics? Or am I now going do have to treat for something else?!

Back
Top Bottom