Absorbing the yolk

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lsuphillier1, Apr 22, 2008.

1. lsuphillier1

lsuphillier1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    In my last hatch, I had only a few to hatch. About 4 were healthy. 3 pipped but had not absorbed all the yolk. Most of the other eggs had a fully developed chick but still part of the yolk unabsorbed.

The ones that did hatch, hatched late, so I am thinking that my temp was too low. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your temps have been too low......also opening the bator too often and insufficient oxygen can play a part..

What type incubator are you using?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  3. lsuphillier1

lsuphillier1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    Quote:I have the still air 9200. The bator hasn't been opened much...as I have an auto-turner. I candled just 3 diff times and transferred the eggs to another bator on day 18.

I have 2 9200s stacked on one another with 4 styro blocks between them to allow air between the two (the ventilations holes are not blocked).

Personally, I thought that maybe my thermometer was a bit off and the temp was too low, esp. since I had chicks hatch 3 days late.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I have the still air 9200. The bator hasn't been opened much...as I have an auto-turner. I candled just 3 diff times and transferred the eggs to another bator on day 18.

I have 2 9200s stacked on one another with 4 styro blocks between them to allow air between the two (the ventilations holes are not blocked).

Personally, I thought that maybe my thermometer was a bit off and the temp was too low, esp. since I had chicks hatch 3 days late.

New batteries maybe? I always change the batteries in the thermometer/hygrometer with every hatch or you can replace the thermometer/hygrometer...

I've never stacked incubators so no ideas there...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by