What causes drowing in a shell

Hedgeland Farms

Crowing
May 5, 2022
Southern Illinois
Having a great hatch for the most part! 2 eggs from lock down didn't make it...
One being twins..and they were sooo sooo close...mostly absorbed yolks..but facing each other so couldn't pip...
The other was full of fluid and developed...
What causes the fluid build up.?

One being twins..and they were sooo sooo close...mostly absorbed yolks..but facing each other so couldn't pip...
To high of a humidity during lockdown I believe.

I believe a chick has to pip to drown in shell.

Fluid in only one egg could mean that it's pores were clogged or something to that effect.. an individual egg problem.. if the rest of your hatch is going over well.

If every egg has too much fluid then highly likely the temp was off or the humidity was too high during INCUBATION (not necessarily lock down).

But for some real exacting answers.. see the following link.. *possible* cause of embryonic failure according to what day they quit and other hatch anomalies seen starts around page 51 of the following link..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Your description sounds like the first thing listed under observations on page 52. But since it was an individual problem maybe correlates to a deficiency (or shell quality) listed JUST prior on page 51.. as dead embryo >18 days.

If it's helpful or you like the other information the link contains.. consider bookmarking it for future reference..

Congrats on your babies, happy hatching! :wee

I believe a chick has to pip to drown in shell.

Fluid in only one egg could mean that it's pores were clogged or something to that effect.. an individual egg problem.. if the rest of your hatch is going over well.

If every egg has too much fluid then highly likely the temp was off or the humidity was too high during INCUBATION (not necessarily lock down).

But for some real exacting answers.. see the following link.. *possible* cause of embryonic failure according to what day they quit and other hatch anomalies seen starts around page 51 of the following link..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Your description sounds like the first thing listed under observations on page 52. But since it was an individual problem maybe correlates to a deficiency (or shell quality) listed JUST prior on page 51.. as dead embryo >18 days.

If it's helpful or you like the other information the link contains.. consider bookmarking it for future reference..

Congrats on your babies, happy hatching! :wee
Thanks so much

Using big eggs for incubation that were laid by young pullets/hens as the yolk:albumen ratio will be unfavourable. There will often be too much albumen left on hatching day and the chicks will aspirate it when trying to take in their first breath.
Ding ding ding...
Likely the issue as this was one of the first big enough eggs my pullets laid. I put it in to fill the incubator. (And the twins)

Back
Top Bottom