Abundance of rat snakes and the coop.

The only barred rock to survive out of the last batch of chicks I ordered. All the others died after I sold them. Their runs have chicken wire.

Attachments

• WP_20210811_15_22_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210811_15_22_19_Pro.jpg
    863.5 KB · Views: 5
Theoretically, that works, but it's impossible to overlap it perfectly. There is going to be areas that will have large enough openings for snakes or other critters to gain access. And I'm sure there's coons around the area that could easily tear through the chicken wire.
I agree wholeheartedly but its easier if its covered with a single layer of 2 inch chicken wire. All they have to do is reach their paw inside to kill them. Thats a gruesome scene.

I agree wholeheartedly but its easier if its covered with a single layer of 2 inch chicken wire. All they have to do is reach their paw inside to kill them. Thats a gruesome scene.
My pet peeve is having to sift thru listings for authentic 16 gauge welded galvanized steel mesh hardware cloth. If you can cut it with scissors it won't keep predators out.

That's interesting, what general area do you live in? Yeah, it's going to be more expensive. But I have to admit I'm kinda impressed that they care enough about the chickens quality of life enough to require a minimum amount of space. I really hate to see a bunch of chickens crammed into a tiny pen, which happens far too often.
I couldn't keep my chickens if the bar was set that high here.

Central Oklahoma

Central Oklahoma. At this point, my daughter and I are considering buttoning up fence lines weaving portable fences and free ranging.
Edit: It may not apply in your situation but chicken tractors don't count as permanent housing (how some people get around it).Because they're moved daily predators have a harder time killing them

I keep going back through this thread. Some of the articles and suggestions are invaluable. I really appreciate it guys. The article posted by @ChickensComeHome2Roost is spot on in my own experience even without birds. Like right now, I'm scrambling to plant the garden while preening the yard from excess tree trash and tall weeds.
I don't want to kill anything. In fact, I'm so conscientious of the ecology I think a chicken tractor and tightly managed bird range is imminent. I'm not a tree hugger, but I can easily see how the frogs would get out of control, the mice and voles would come in swarms into the garden and envision sheer destruction either from me killing the snakes or letting the chickens decimate the grounds.
My husband lost his job. We can pull off the purchase of about 150 sq ft of 1/2" 19 gauge to cover the tractor. Why is this thing not letting insert paragraphs? The greatest predator is the possums. There is a small family of coons but they are, literally, gun shy so they never would venture into the daylight unless provided cover or were very desperate. This is a city. We lost a couple families of them years back from that canine disease that is common in the environment. As soon as the stock tank is free, I will begin to trap some possums, reduce their numbers. Next up is skunks and occasional raccoons. Other than possums, it's dogs. Friggin' packs of domestic dogs roaming the streets and they aren't even hungry. So, we'll shut up the gates at night.
i have some excess chain link fencing I can use to cover the tractor as well to deter those strong jowls and large claws. Moving the tractor constantly will be a great defense as well as removing the feeder and waterer every night. Summers reach a quasi desert status here, so water is an attractant. The feed attracts the mice and then the snakes come in just as that article explains. That's what happens every year in our house. The mice come after the fiddle back spiders into the crawlspace of the house and the snakes pursuit. In fact, we know of a garder snake that lives under the side of our old home. so, yeah an abundance of snakies. A tractor is not enough for my girls. My conscience cannot handle it. The plan is to weave a net to use as a portable run and tightly manage their ranging habitats during the day. I will update this thread as I go along.
I appreciate your concern for living things! I try to live in peace with wildlife even snakes. We have copperheads so I keep the grass cut and everything picked up so they have nowhere to hide.Its dangerous to keep scrap lumber or anything lying around. They blend in with the dried leaves.I've almost stepped on them before.

I appreciate your concern for living things! I try to live in peace with wildlife even snakes. We have copperheads so I keep the grass cut and everything picked up so they have nowhere to hide.Its dangerous to keep scrap lumber or anything lying around. They blend in with the dried leaves.I've almost stepped on them before.
Thanks for the reminder. Venomous snakes are rare here but possible. I sat down in the garden walkway yesterday and uncovered a beautiful ribboned snake beneath a piece of bark I had tossed. I should be more careful.

Deal with your rodent problem first and there won't be snakes around. Treadle feeder! Check the reviews very carefully, any more than a couple of bad reviews is a red flag. Most feeders do well until rodents set up house.

Hey. My barred rocks are on their fifth week. Big but not fully feathered. This last week or so i wasn't expecting flooding rains. The brooder is in the house and it us too small. We are working hard to keep them stimulated and clean but they need to go out uf only a few hours at a time.

Yesterday it was just took cold. Today is going to be warm enough but it is raining and the soil is fully saturated. I put them outside in a large metal dog crate with perches inside to help mitigate cramped spaces. I change their feeder and water often which helps keep them calm in a tight space. So they are happy!

If I give the a wide eave with a tarpaulin to help keep them dry will they be okay as long ad the temps are warm? I have a pallet that I can use to lift the cage if the wet ground too. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom