AC and some mixed breeds.

I found my AC's do best incubating at 100 to 100.5° in circulated air incubator, side turner not upright, and at 30% (no higher than 40%) humidity throughout the first 18 days... I also never set other eggs with them, just AC's... they tend to have a harder time than others losing proper moisture and upright/on end turners I have noticed less CAM development...

I found my AC's do best incubating at 100 to 100.5° in circulated air incubator, side turner not upright, and at 30% (no higher than 40%) humidity throughout the first 18 days... I also never set other eggs with them, just AC's... they tend to have a harder time than others losing proper moisture and upright/on end turners I have noticed less CAM development...
Thank you if I ever try to incubate them again I will remember that. I don't think I will be ordering the eggs anytime soon after all this. I had one hatch fine the other hatched with curled toes. I am hoping I at least have a rooster and a hen so I don't have to order them. Can I ask if any of your AC have had the genetic color defects? Mine do white tips on wings and little on breast area and white toes. But they have the black skin. I know most would cull them for these defects but I won't. I read even the ones born with these defects can still produce the pure black offspring. I am just fascinated by and mine seem to have remarkable will power.

Thank you if I ever try to incubate them again I will remember that. I don't think I will be ordering the eggs anytime soon after all this. I had one hatch fine the other hatched with curled toes. I am hoping I at least have a rooster and a hen so I don't have to order them. Can I ask if any of your AC have had the genetic color defects? Mine do white tips on wings and little on breast area and white toes. But they have the black skin. I know most would cull them for these defects but I won't. I read even the ones born with these defects can still produce the pure black offspring. I am just fascinated by and mine seem to have remarkable will power.

I cull all with white wing tips, toes, etc... most of that I have actually bred out/culled out of my line, but I do have one hen still throwing those... she will be removed as soon as I isolate which one... leakage in the feathers has been known to crop up in males and be carried by females, some think the white wing tips might indicate that leakage... either way, if fibro expression isn't complete at hatch and 'fills in' later, the bird still is incomplete fibro...

I cull all with white wing tips, toes, etc... most of that I have actually bred out/culled out of my line, but I do have one hen still throwing those... she will be removed as soon as I isolate which one... leakage in the feathers has been known to crop up in males and be carried by females, some think the white wing tips might indicate that leakage... either way, if fibro expression isn't complete at hatch and 'fills in' later, the bird still is incomplete fibro...
I don't think I can do that to mine. I knew some did. I really wanted them all black and I was told these would be. That's life I guess I think I will just be grateful for the two I have though I wanted more. I need to find a local breeder and not have them shipped anymore since I seem to have issues with them. I would just buy chicks but they would cost me more than the eggs..... Well here is hoping for a hen and rooster because I researched some after they hatched with the white tips and toes and found they can still produce the all black offspring. Thanks for answering my question. I guess I am odd cause I can't see myself culling them over the genetics they have. I would seperate pure black from the ones with the white tips so the issues wouldn't continue cause even 2 pure (from what I read) can produce even the ones with the genetic defects. However these two will most likey NOT go in with my others. I am just thankful at this point I even had to make it out alive.

I don't think I can do that to mine. I knew some did. I really wanted them all black and I was told these would be. That's life I guess I think I will just be grateful for the two I have though I wanted more. I need to find a local breeder and not have them shipped anymore since I seem to have issues with them. I would just buy chicks but they would cost me more than the eggs..... Well here is hoping for a hen and rooster because I researched some after they hatched with the white tips and toes and found they can still produce the all black offspring. Thanks for answering my question. I guess I am odd cause I can't see myself culling them over the genetics they have. I would seperate pure black from the ones with the white tips so the issues wouldn't continue cause even 2 pure (from what I read) can produce even the ones with the genetic defects. However these two will most likey NOT go in with my others. I am just thankful at this point I even had to make it out alive.

Culling does not automatically mean killing... it just means removing from the breeding program..

I did not know that I though when people said to cull it was just kill because they them to be less than par for them or they don't want to put the effort into them. Thanks for educating me on that.

Very welcome... some people do mean kill when they say cull, but not everyone... :)

Back
Top Bottom