ACCCK!!! DEAD CHICK!!! Why???

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
I received a box with 39 chicks from Meyer yesterday morning. One was DOA and the other 38 perky. This morning, one of them apparantly either fell down and was trampled (JasmineBell's theory) or had some sort of seizure (mine) and then threw up yellowish liquid and died.

The only thing we did differently this time than last was to use electrolyte powder instead of a generous pinch of sugar. Otherwise, it would have had to been something that came along with the birds.

1) What can cause this sort of death?

2) How far away from my other birds do I need to quarantine this batch? I'd *been* planning to keep them in the next stall over in their brooder but if it's something contagious, that might be too close.

3) How do I properly dispose of these two dead chicks without potentially contaminating my garden compost? Burial deep in the ground isn'[t practical, as the soil is very rocky.

Thank you very much!!!!!

Edit: The other 37 seem perky and fine still.

Edit: It's really bugging me but I don't know WHICH chick died. If it's a leghorn, I'll be less sad than if it was one of my buckeyes. And if it was one of my three roos, I'll be even more sad (even though I only plan to keep one). All I know is that it was light brown.

Last edited:
I don't think the death had anything to do with either electrolyte powder vs sugar. I've never done either... just plain water & good chick starter, heat & not too much commotion until they settle.

Second chick is like an unsolvable CIS case ... you may never know. Could have been damaged in shipment, making it prone to trampling. Chicks are really quite delicate the first couple of days.

I have a couple of guinea pig cages I use for the first week or so, keeps the new chicks 'quarantined' and easy to take care of.

I'm sure there are lots of ideas for disposing of dead animals, but we burn trash here, and that is how we get rid of small chicks. We also have a large 'trash' area (wood, leaves, stuff that will eventually decompose) at one of our back corners that we use for for the larger ones.

As to which one? Guess you'll solve that mystery a little further down the road. Hope the rest stay bright & healthy!

UPDATE: My husband helpfully added "a teaspoon?" of the electrolyte powder (enough for four gallons of water, if in fact it was only a teaspoon, since I doubt he measured) to their food. Food for 38 chicks which they probably ate half of. "But it said you can add it to the food, too!", he said.

I took out the food & gave them plain clean water and am not feeling hopeful. They still look perky but this one died very suddenly.

I almost sounds like a ruptured yolk. When the chick absorbs the yolk during the last few hours prior to hatching, it remains in their abdomen for 48-72 hours while gradually being absorbed. It is possible, with some mild trauma, for that yolk to rupture inside the chick. This could account for the yellow liquid from it's mouth.

Particularly during the first 72 hours after hatch, chicks should be handled very gently and have plenty of room inside the brooder.

As someone else said , chicks are very delicate for the first couple of days. If the remaining chicks are active & eating I doubt there's a problem. Losing a chick once in awhile is normal.

Back
Top Bottom