Accepting what might be and pushing forward.....need advice on multiple concerns.

@TropicalChickies has given you thoroughly good advice.

My take on this hen is that she's likely been suffering from shock since the dog attack, and she may have an internal injury, as well. All else has been led by this.

Bugs show up when the chicken's immune system is being tasked, but parasites aren't the immediate issue. Shock is. Always treat for shock first thing after an attack. Give her one teaspoon of sugar in one cup of tepid water and add a pinch of salt and baking soda.

Give the water as her only water for the next 24 hours. You should see some improvement in her behavior. But if this has triggered Marek's symptoms, the die is cast.

Since your hen was attacked by your dog, I would keep an eye on her for any internal injuries. My chicken who was roughed up by a dog, immediately stopped laying and soon was molting because of the stress. Check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks, to make sure that her crop is emptying overnight. If there is food in the crop in the am, tell us if it is puffy soft, firm, or doughy. Then you will know if there is a crop problem.

Use permethrin garden dust or horse spray to treat lice or mites. Stop bathing her since she is declining. Baths can push a weak hen over the edge. If egg bound is suspected, give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D3. Calcium citrate 600 mg is quickly absorbed.

My hubby and i were just talking about the stress from the attack and possible internal injuries. 😞 I just picked up Garden & Poultry Dust last night, and i will continue to treat for the bugs. Her crop does not feel full, but she hasn't eaten much since yesterday. I gave her tums last night, but i will see if i can pick up the Calcium Citrate 600 today.My husband is making her the sugar water with salt and baking soda right now. Thank you all for your advice!!!

She has her sugar water, and i will encourage her to drink. She just pooped before i put her back in her quiet area, and I attached a picture of the poop and her butt. 😕 (I have Nutridrench on hand, and i had put it in her water for the past 2 days.)

Attachments

• 20230702_094240.jpg
    20230702_094240.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230702_094252.jpg
    20230702_094252.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 12
Is her vent swollen?

Yellow poop like that, I'd work on hydration and treat the crop symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Do provide mushy feed for her to eat and see that she's getting fluids.

Sounds like she's been through a rough time. Dog attack, then being harassed by roosters (which can absolutely cause a great deal of stress), she's been in a state of decline. Hopefully with her being separated out with food/water and getting some TLC she'll bounce back.

Dust her with the Permethrin and try to get rid of the bugs. I put the dust in a sock and use it like a powder puff, it's easier to control. Tap the sock onto her feathers and then work it down through the feathers all the way to the skin.

I have been wondering if she is swollen, or if that's how a featherless butt looks. I cannot find good pix to compare, but i am still researching in between taking care of the rest of the flock. I just made her an egg so i will see if i can get her to drink some more sugar water and eat a little.

Is her vent swollen?

Yellow poop like that, I'd work on hydration and treat the crop symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Do provide mushy feed for her to eat and see that she's getting fluids.

Sounds like she's been through a rough time. Dog attack, then being harassed by roosters (which can absolutely cause a great deal of stress), she's been in a state of decline. Hopefully with her being separated out with food/water and getting some TLC she'll bounce back.

Dust her with the Permethrin and try to get rid of the bugs. I put the dust in a sock and use it like a powder puff, it's easier to control. Tap the sock onto her feathers and then work it down through the feathers all the way to the skin.
Thank you for the info on how you apply the powder! I will try that method with the others. (I assume that i need to treat everybody even tho she's the only one shaking her head?)

Since your hen was attacked by your dog, I would keep an eye on her for any internal injuries. My chicken who was roughed up by a dog, immediately stopped laying and soon was molting because of the stress. Check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks, to make sure that her crop is emptying overnight. If there is food in the crop in the am, tell us if it is puffy soft, firm, or doughy. Then you will know if there is a crop problem.

Use permethrin garden dust or horse spray to treat lice or mites. Stop bathing her since she is declining. Baths can push a weak hen over the edge. If egg bound is suspected, give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D3. Calcium citrate 600 mg is quickly absorbed.
Did your hen recover for the dog attack?

Thank you for the info on how you apply the powder! I will try that method with the others. (I assume that i need to treat everybody even tho she's the only one shaking her head?)
That runny yellow poop is another indication that her crop could be slow -- or something else going on in her digestive system. Be sure to check her crop first thing in the morning and let us know how it is:
empty and flat --ok
full and hard -- impacted
full and mushy -- sour

The head shaking can also be crop related. Chickens shake their head to try and move the contents down.

Does she have an "off" smell around her head, like vinegar or sourdough bread?

How does her abdomen feel? Any bloating?

Back
Top Bottom