Accepting what might be and pushing forward.....need advice on multiple concerns.

Thank you for checking in on me, @TropicalChickies and @Allsfairinloveandbugs . I apologize for just dropping off of here, especially after all of the time you all have spent in trying to help me. I am still in awe in the support I have found here. ❤️ I've had a hard time even opening this site just because I knew I should post an update, but my heart has been broken over and over again. I ended up losing Bonk and the other pullet who was lame a few days after my last post. I truly think Bonk was on the mends... She was keeping better balance, walking to her food and water, and sitting upright for the most part. In fact, I was feeling like I would be able to move her in with the others in a day or so. However, one evening, the family and I were out in the barn, and I heard some unusual squawking. I started my way to the coop, and one of my dogs ran on ahead of me. By the time I got to the coop, I found my dog had Bonk's head in his mouth! 😫 I don't know how that happened, but I am wondering if the squawking was her in panic because she had somehow managing to stick her head through the dog kennel wires? There is no way my dog could have gotten to her otherwise. I got my dog away from her, and I carefully removed her head from between the wires, which was no easy task. (Seriously, how did she do that to begin with?!?) She was still alive but barely. I cried and cradled her until my husband took her from me and told me he had to end her suffering. I told him to take the pullet, too, since she definitely was not improving. Honk (my girl, after all her and I had been thru with her dang crop issues) was in the kennel with these two when this happened. (I would put her in there occasionally because Honk & Bonk were very close, needless to say.). I moved Honk back to her box in the coop where she likes to sleep at night. I did not sleep well that night. It kept playing over and over in my head. And, of course, there's the guilt of how I let that happen. The next day, it seemed Honk was not wanting to eat or drink. I even tried urging her with mealworms, and nothing. I took her outside and held her on my lap to see if she was just out of sorts. She just kept closing her eyes. I set her on the ground, and she took a few steps, and then sat down. So I picked her up and put her in the dreadful dog kennel with her own food and water. I didn't want anyone pecking at her while I ran recycling and garbage to the dump. I was only gone about 45 minutes. When I got home, my kids seemed to be acting secretively. I went out to check on her before I went into the house, and my daughter stopped me, and hugged me. She told me Honk had died. 😢😫 My kids are so amazing. They were trying to figure out how to deal with this in a way that would be easier for me to handle. I said goodbye to Honk, and they took her out to the field to bury her along the others. It took me a bit to get over that. I think we lost another pullet since then, and I currently have one who is lame. My husband will do what needs to be done tonight. So 8 out of 10 from the group of lavenders and what I am guessing Easter Eggers(?) are gone. The 2 that we have left are doing VERY well. In fact, the one is my daughter's favorite,and she has her trained to jump up onto a perch and then onto her arm. Lol. The other one is gray, but she doesn't look like the other lavenders. I will post a picture. We have lost many pullets, but I no longer keep count. They are at POL now, so I imagine we will see more decline before winter gets here. I do have one from our original young chicks, Alice, (it was the group of seven 1- to 2-month-old we got in March, where 3 ended up being roosters 🙄) who seemed quiet and standing off by herself two days ago. Yesterday my daughter mentioned how pale her comb was. It is still pale today, and she is just not herself. I have read that birds can go thru a slight molt around 9-10 months of age which can cause a pale comb, but of course there's all of the other crap it could be. I am going to give her some extra protein (tuna?) and some nutridrench, and I will closely monitor her. We did just get done with their monthly maintenance of denagard, and I have not heard ANY sneezing, so that has been good. Nova (the adult lavender who was attacked by the dog, and then went thru molting, and I struggled with trying to figure out if she was eggbound) is doing AMAZING! She is looking beautiful and she might be laying eggs again. She definitely has her confidence back, too. I guess there's not much else to update on. Again, I am sorry to be away for so long, and you are all very much appreciated! ❤️
(1st pix is Alice; 2nd are Mazie and Kelly - from the group of lavenders who passed... Any ideas on their breed?)

Attachments

• 20230924_110051.jpg
    20230924_110051.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230913_090619.jpg
    20230913_090619.jpg
    1,009 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230913_091241.jpg
    20230913_091241.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 4
It's good to hear from you @Chopper923. Thank you for the update, but I am so very sorry for all your heartbreak.:hugs I wish you could have had another necropsy done on one of your older pullets that passed away. The excessive losses you have experienced are far beyond not normal, even more so after all you have done to try and save them. I am also sorry your dog got to Bonk after she was on the mend.😓 BTW, I never can think of enough good names for all my chicks/chickens. I currently have over 30 new pullets hatched this year, plus too many cockerels I am trying to justify keeping. None have names yet. I love the names Bonk, Honk and Chonk, and will choose 3 to give those names to. Those names make me smile, and are also a small way to honor your pullets' memories.

it's good to hear that Nova is doing well. In her photo, Alice clearly doesn't feel well, but it may be impossible to know why she is ailing, unless she dies and you are able to have a necropsy done. Hopefully someone else here will have thoughts on what to do to help Alice. I am glad that Denagard is doing its job to keep Mycoplasma symptoms at bay.

Hmm on the "lavenders." I had assumed they were probably Lavender orpingtons, since that is the most well-known breed that carries the lavender color, though other breeds do too. But neither of your birds pictured is lavender. The chicken in the second photo is blue. She resembles a blue Australorp; here is one of mine.
original_4ac7705a-89c3-4903-b29e-670ccd09b711_20210816_153801.jpg

Here is what the lavender color looks like. (One of my lavender Orpingtons.)
original_76d9f1bf-5e90-4aa1-a011-42815339348f_20210502_172747.jpg

The chicken in your 2nd photo looks familiar, though it isn't a breed I have and my brain is not recalling the breed. If you don't get an answer here, you can make a thread on the breed and gender forum. Include a full body shot, and the experts on that forum will soon identify her breed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/what-breed-or-gender-is-this.15/

You are so kind, @Allsfairinloveandbugs .❤️ I love that you are willing to name some of your young ones after Honk, Bonk, and Chonk. 🥰 Got to leave it to kids to get creative sometimes! Lol. We also have one named ShawShank because she was an escape artist when she was little. And my son named another GodSpeed because she was lightning quick to not let anyone pick her up. She's not like that anymore... She's gotten pretty good about being held. We have not named any of the pullets. Probably a good thing with how things are going. 🙄 Besides, since they are all leghorns, I don't think we'd be able to tell from one day to the next who is who!

I believe you were correct on my group of "lavenders." With that group we started out with 2 yellowish/tan pullets, 1 brown pullet (Gimpy, who was the first to show signs of lameness way back in April, I think), and 7 gray pullets. The pullet that I sent in for necropsy looked like Maizy (who I posted a picture of in last post). The pictures I found online that somewhat resembled those two were the Easter Eggers, but now looking again, I cannot find the picture that I had referred to. I will post one that I just found, but it still doesn't convince me that's what Maizy is. Your blue astralorp definitely looks like my Kelly! I knew she was different from the other gray pullets! Kelly's feet are different from your chicken. I will see if I can get a picture of her feet on here. There is orange coloring in between the toes. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I was just remembering something that I thought I'd share. When I had packaged up the pullet to send in for testing, I had 2 more pullets that I questioned on here if I should/could ask my husband to euthanize them since they were not doing well. (The more birds, the better for diagnosis, especially if I could send up to 5 for the price of one.) I wasn't able to bring myself to ask him, which is a good thing because the one is our Maizy, who somehow managed to pull through! Phew!

1st picture is one of the lavenders who passed away. 2nd one is the pullet I sent in for necropsy.

Attachments

• 20230606_125441.jpg
    20230606_125441.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230606_125444.jpg
    20230606_125444.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 5
This looks similar to the picture I had found when I was trying to ID the 2 from this group. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230926_110414_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230926_110414_Chrome.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The first pullet pictured that passed away is definitely lavender colored, and probably all the ones you are calling gray are actually lavender. Lavender does look gray. It's a completely uniform color with no lacing or color variations. Your deceased lavender pullet had a straight comb, so was probably an Orpington.

If your blue pullet has orange skinned foot pads, she is not an Australorp, because Australorps have white skin and foot pads.

I'm glad you didn't send Maizie in for a necropsy! She has a large straight comb, and as recently as a few years ago, her comb would have meant she isn't an Eatster Egger. But straight-combed blue-laying breeds have been used to create Easter Eggers for the past several years, and that has muddied the waters considerably. Has Maizie laid eggs yet? Easter Eggers can literally be any feather color. The picture you posted is a common Easter Egger color, but common in other breeds too. Do you know for sure that Maizie and Kelly pure breeds? If so, post their pictures in the gender and breed forum, and you will get your answers. If they are not purebred, you will still get replies!
I do have one from our original young chicks, Alice, (it was the group of seven 1- to 2-month-old we got in March, where 3 ended up being roosters 🙄) who seemed quiet and standing off by herself two days ago. Yesterday my daughter mentioned how pale her comb was. It is still pale today, and she is just not herself. I have read that birds can go thru a slight molt around 9-10 months of age which can cause a pale comb, but of course there's all of the other crap it could be. I am going to give her some extra protein (tuna?) and some nutridrench, and I will closely monitor her.
How is Alice today?

Wow, I have SO MUCH to learn! 🥴 Lacing, straight combs, white skin... so much to take in to consideration when figuring the breeds out. I could have sworn that Kelly was the same as your Australorp! I did zoom in on her feet, and it's not the best lighting to see the color, so I will try to get a better picture tomorrow. I do not know if Kelly or Maizy are purebred. We think Maizy has been laying the light green eggs, but I cannot be 100%. There are 10 nesting boxes, and most of the eggs are found in the same 3 boxes. Today I saw 2 hens in the same spot while a third seemed to be impatiently waiting her turn. Lol.

Alice seems to be the same today. I put her and ShawShank back in an empty run/coop area so that I could monitor her again today. (ShawShank was for moral support.). They ate some scrambled eggs, tuna, and dandelion greens. I also put their regular feed in by them and nutridrench water, but Alice didn't seem interested in much other than the scrambled eggs. A couple of hours later, I moved ShawShank back to the regular coop because she kept pacing along the fence like she wanted out. Maybe a half hour later, I moved Alice back, too, because she stood along the fence staring at the others. I know it's stressful to separate them, so I felt it was best. I totally agree that it would be nice to have another necropsy done.... 😣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230926_212049_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230926_212049_Chrome.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230926_100845.jpg
    20230926_100845.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230926_100354.jpg
    20230926_100354.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 3
Have you checked Alice's crop recently to make sure it is flat and empty before she eats in the morning?
I was just going to suggest that. Sometimes after rounds of antibiotics, the crop can get slow.

@Chopper923 I am really sorry for everything you have experienced and are still going through. 💜 None of it is your fault, you are doing the best you can, and truly you've had some terrible luck to have gotten chickens with so many diseases, bacterias -- and coccidiosis too. Geez.

I think I recall you started with around 60 chickens? There was a group of young adults, a group of pullets from your in-laws, and a whole bunch of leghorn chicks from a big box store? The pullets were the most affected, right? How are the other groups faring?

Thank you for your reply, @TropicalChickies ! Yes, within a month of starting this adventure, we had approx 66 chickens from 3 different sources. 😖. I lost 8 out of 10 of one group (mostly young lavenders), and I have been dealing with losing a Leghorn pullet here and there after they start becoming lame. Alice is from our original group of six adults and seven 1 or 2-month-olds from a local person. We did lose a young rooster suddenly from this particular group a few months back....prior to the necropsy.

I did start Alice on the Tri-sulpha antibiotic two days ago, but then she seemed so stressed/down while I kept her separated from the flock. (That's why I put ShawShank in with her, but ShawShank really got agitated after a while of being out of her normal surroundings.) I was at a loss... Take a chance that the antibiotics will do the trick, or keep her with the flock so that the stress doesn't kill her. I was hoping that the symptoms I am seeing is due to possibly the start of molt? So, she had only 2 days of antibiotics - that is if she even drank enough to have any benefit. She has eaten some more scrambled eggs today, but she wasn't interested in any meal worms.

I do not see any bugs on her, but we might give everyone a treatment of ivermectin topically tonight. I have to look back at my notes on the schedule since that's one thing I don't see on my calendar. 🤦🏼‍♀️

It's damp and chilly here today, so I left one of the doors closed on the coop to keep it comfy inside. I'm second guessing myself about putting her back with the flock since I obviously cannot monitor her that way. 🙄

Back
Top Bottom