Accepting what might be and pushing forward.....need advice on multiple concerns.

Thank you for your reply, @TropicalChickies ! Yes, within a month of starting this adventure, we had approx 66 chickens from 3 different sources. 😖. I lost 8 out of 10 of one group (mostly young lavenders), and I have been dealing with losing a Leghorn pullet here and there after they start becoming lame. Alice is from our original group of six adults and seven 1 or 2-month-olds from a local person. We did lose a young rooster suddenly from this particular group a few months back....prior to the necropsy.

I did start Alice on the Tri-sulpha antibiotic two days ago, but then she seemed so stressed/down while I kept her separated from the flock. (That's why I put ShawShank in with her, but ShawShank really got agitated after a while of being out of her normal surroundings.) I was at a loss... Take a chance that the antibiotics will do the trick, or keep her with the flock so that the stress doesn't kill her. I was hoping that the symptoms I am seeing is due to possibly the start of molt? So, she had only 2 days of antibiotics - that is if she even drank enough to have any benefit. She has eaten some more scrambled eggs today, but she wasn't interested in any meal worms.

I do not see any bugs on her, but we might give everyone a treatment of ivermectin topically tonight. I have to look back at my notes on the schedule since that's one thing I don't see on my calendar. 🤦🏼‍♀️

It's damp and chilly here today, so I left one of the doors closed on the coop to keep it comfy inside. I'm second guessing myself about putting her back with the flock since I obviously cannot monitor her that way. 🙄
Be sure to check Alice's crop first thing tmrw morning before she eats anything and let us know how it is. It should feel empty and flat.

I forgot to post my findings this morning. Alice's crop felt empty. I should have checked it when I closed everyone up last night since I know she's not eating as much as normal. She did scarf down more scrambled eggs this morning, and I'm going out to give her some more in a bit. Her comb seemed to have a bit of color back in it, but that could be my imagination, too.

I hope everyone is having a good day. 😊

I forgot to post my findings this morning. Alice's crop felt empty. I should have checked it when I closed everyone up last night since I know she's not eating as much as normal. She did scarf down more scrambled eggs this morning, and I'm going out to give her some more in a bit. Her comb seemed to have a bit of color back in it, but that could be my imagination, too.

I hope everyone is having a good day. 😊
That's good to hear. Btw, the only time to check crops for problems is in the morning. At night, they can feel full from food. But if the crop doesn't empty overnight, that's a sign of a problem

Good morning! Alice has an empty crop this morning, but it wasn't as full as it should've been last night. I just found her sitting by the waterer outside. I picked her up and checked her over. I set her back down, and she sat down instantly, a little bit to her side. She stayed there for a bit until she walked over to the waterer, took some drinks and walked away. She's sitting under a tree all by herself. She was walking slow, and maybe a bit off balance for a moment. I'm going to make her some eggs and get her some nutridrench or poultry cell. I'm sure this behavior warrants isolation so that I can get her some antibiotics and watch her food/water intake more closely. I know she enjoys being by her girls, so I will get the big kennel set up and put it in the run. I'm not sure if I should start her on denagard? The last treatments for the whole flock was last week, ending on Saturday. Or should I try the Tri-sulpha? We also have penicillin (injectable).

Good morning! Alice has an empty crop this morning, but it wasn't as full as it should've been last night. I just found her sitting by the waterer outside. I picked her up and checked her over. I set her back down, and she sat down instantly, a little bit to her side. She stayed there for a bit until she walked over to the waterer, took some drinks and walked away. She's sitting under a tree all by herself. She was walking slow, and maybe a bit off balance for a moment. I'm going to make her some eggs and get her some nutridrench or poultry cell. I'm sure this behavior warrants isolation so that I can get her some antibiotics and watch her food/water intake more closely. I know she enjoys being by her girls, so I will get the big kennel set up and put it in the run. I'm not sure if I should start her on denagard? The last treatments for the whole flock was last week, ending on Saturday. Or should I try the Tri-sulpha? We also have penicillin (injectable).
Yes, isolate her. If she's only been eating eggs, her blood sugar may be low. See if she will eat a little mashed sweet potato or oatmeal. Something soft and cooked with carbs. Even just a TBSP or two will help get her blood sugar up. You can also put a few grains of salt, a few grains of sugar, and 1/8 tsp baking soda in 1/2 liter of water for her to drink.

Re antibiotics, it's important when treating an individual bird to make sure they get enough of the medicine to make an impact. When treating an individual bird, I usually use a pill or injectable to dose because those powders you put in the water are meant for treating a flock and are hard to dose for an individual bird.

My gut says there is no need to treat Alice's current symptoms with Denagard since you just completed her monthly regimen, and her current symptoms don't suggest either MG or MS. I'm glad you will be housing her next to her flock while you medicate her, since as you've already seen, separation/isolation can lead to stress and depression. Keep us updated. I'm hoping Alice soon feels better after her penicillin injection. Have you previously treated your flock with penicillin or only tri-sulfa before? (I'm sorry; I can't remember.)

I got her all situated with the oatmeal, water with additions, and scrambled eggs. I added a couple of small chunks of sardines. I attached pix of her poop, which just happened before I moved her. (Meaning it's definitely hers and definitely fresh, lol)

Inside the coop, I found a pullet on it's side, and I thought she was dead. Not dead, but she is showing the signs of becoming lame. 😖

Back
Top Bottom