Access Door to Run -- Necessary?

I agree. 4 feet height in the run would make me miserable having to bend over every time I go in. I am constantly in the run area checking feeders, waterers, scraping poo off roosts and cleaning out the dust bathing tub. And yes, add the door!
But....like I said -- the water/feeder/roosts/nesting boxes/dustbath are all IN the coop. Which is a walk-in converted shed, so there's plenty of standing space to access all of that. And the hens will have regular (supervised) free-range in our large yard too. I'm new to this, so this may be ignorance, but I'm not sure I'm understanding the need for regular standing-room run access in my setup (door I 100% agree with). Either way, I'm thinking maybe we could have the top of the run be removable (latched on around the edges), so we can take it off and have standing room for maintenance if need be.

But....like I said -- the water/feeder/roosts/nesting boxes/dustbath are all IN the coop. Which is a walk-in converted shed, so there's plenty of standing space to access all of that. And the hens will have regular (supervised) free-range in our large yard too. I'm new to this, so this may be ignorance, but I'm not sure I'm understanding the need for regular standing-room run access in my setup (door I 100% agree with). Either way, I'm thinking maybe we could have the top of the run be removable (latched on around the edges), so we can take it off and have standing room for maintenance if need be.
You don't NEED it, per se, BUT, there are so many things that you may need to do in the run, cleaning for one. Catching a sick or injured one, repairs. The list goes on.

Just wondering - If you have a large walk-in coop, why did you not make the run taller and more comfortable for you? I bet you will want to spend some time in there with them. And to change out their water etc.
It will be sitting flush against the shed which has a roof edge limiting height; there's also a tree on the other side giving a limitation (both for height and width). They will have regular access to the whole yard, also.

But....like I said -- the water/feeder/roosts/nesting boxes/dustbath are all IN the coop. Which is a walk-in converted shed, so there's plenty of standing space to access all of that.

Sorry, I missed that detail of feeder/waterer in the coop. But at some point you will still have to clean the run so all I was trying to say is, makes chicken tending much easier if you can stand up while doing it. If you're okay with bending over, then make your run however you want to! Again, it is your personal choice as to what will work for you and what won't so take what is said here simply as advice/experience. Don't let anyone guilt you into doing it another way...they won't be tending your flock! :)

Sorry, I missed that detail of feeder/waterer in the coop. But at some point you will still have to clean the run so all I was trying to say is, makes chicken tending much easier if you can stand up while doing it. If you're okay with bending over, then make your run however you want to! Again, it is your personal choice as to what will work for you and what won't so take what is said here simply as advice/experience. Don't let anyone guilt you into doing it another way...they won't be tending your flock! :)
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! Just want to make sure I'm considering what's relevant to my setup. Right now I view the run as a tertiary place to the coop and yard, but of course the chicks are still inside so we'll see if that holds true! :) Thinking at this point we might make either 1/2 or all of the top panel removable (secured on all sides by latches) -- which would allow flexibility to have standing space as an option -- and would be easy to secure permanently if we find we don't want/need it.

My coop co-planner and I disagree on whether we need some sort of access door/hatch to our run. We will have a large walk-in coop (a converted shed), which has a chicken-size door accessing the run. The run will be 4'tall, 8'wide, 12'long, made of hardware cloth affixed to 2x4s on all sides.

My husband thinks in the event we needed to get into the run we can just undo a few feet of the hardware cloth from the wood and peel it open. I think we need a permanent and easier solution of a hatch or side door that a human can fit through if needed to access the interior (hurt chicken, etc...).

Your thoughts?
We are having an issue right now with trying to give vegetables to our girls without tham getting out. So we are regretting not having some kind of access door just to give treats if for some reason we cant let them free range. An access door along with a regular door is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom