access to food/water at night?

lisamarie

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 12, 2008
northern california
hi all,

i just put our 7 week old chicks out in the coop and i am wondering if they still need access to food and water at night? I want to keep them in the roost part of the coop so they will stay warm, but their food is out in main coop.

thanks!
lisa

Our food and water is outside in the run and there isn't any food or water in the coop. I suppose, if they wanted to, they could go out and eat/drink, but they don't.
I think they will be fine.

Usually once it gets dark, chickens stay put, so they probably will be fine with the food and water in the run part of coop. I had put mine out earlier than 7 weeks and they were fine.

Welcome!

Last edited:
I keep food an water with them at night and don't think they touch it till the morning.
however other members have said their chickens do eat and drink at night.
I think its up to the individuals observations on whether to have it in the coop, it certainly wont hurt anything.
smile.png

* It's hot here, so sometimes my hen will wake up at night wanting water. Other times if she is disturbed by people talking or a bug or whatever, she gets up, eats a little and putters around a few minutes before going back to bed. Mostly she stays on the roost, but I always keep water and a very minimum of food out for her just in case.

I keep food and water handy for them at 10 weeks old...they still get up and eat/drink at night.

I do not think it would hurt them if they did not, but I want them to have water available with the warmer weather.

I keep food and water in the coop because I know they pick a little at night which I don't think it would hurt them to do without, but they wake up WAY earlier than I do and start eating immediately. We wake up at 7 and go straight out to let the girls out, and they have already plowed through a lot of feed by that time. I am afraid they would start picking if they didn't have food to eat after not eating all night long. So far, praise the Lord, we have never had a picking problem.

Back
Top Bottom