Accidental chicken mom...

citygirl180

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 7, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
...and quickly becoming an addict!

Hi everyone - i've been lurking on this site the past few months ever since 2 chickens wandered into my yard after a storm and made themselves at home. No one claimed them and a friend convinced me to keep them even though I am a total city girl and have *no clue* what i'm doing!

I got a little started coop, have been loving the fresh eggs, and been learning and reading lots! (SO grateful for everyone on this site and all the words of wisdom that have helped me along the way so far!)

1 of the girls (a blue ameracuna) that adopted me has never laid and after reading a lot I checked her vent and she's just too old to lay. So.... whats a girl to do? I of course went and got 6 babies to raise - duh ;)

again, I have no clue what i'm doing but figuring it out as I go. I built a brooder box and have it set up in a room safe from my kitties. I have 3 olive eggers, 2 black copper marans and a french breese. They will be 3 weeks old on wed. and I am so enamored with them! As stressful and crazy as my life is - I find such a sense of calm and joy watching their antics. Best meditation ever.
I can already see how this is addictive and this will likely not be the last batch of babies I raise :)

I'm working on plans to start building a bigger coop this weekend as my little starter coop will definitely not cut it for the whole flock once they are ready to go outside. Loving all the inspiration and information on this site.

Im sure I will have questions as time goes on - so I figured I should stop lurking and officially join and introduce myself already!
I am a little anxious trying to figure out which ones and how many will be hens... no way of knowing right now though.

Again - thank you for everyone who takes the time to post and share their knowledge. Has been truly a lifesaver thus far!
Make it a great day!

I loved your intro!

Yes, chicken keeping is very addictive! One chicken plus another equals MORE! You have been bitten by the chicken lover bug and, fortunately, there is no cure!
lol.png

Congrats on your flock! You may want to post pics of your babies here to find out gender and breed
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Our learning center is a great place to find out chicken info too
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Glad you joined!

Thanks Sarah!
I'll try to get some current pics... The only ones I have are from a week or so ago. They don't stand still very often!
I appreciate the welcome :)

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining, and all of us are chicken addicts. :eek:) I'll be looking forward to your pics. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good luck with your babies and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom