Accidental clutch

Chickens&Dogs_12

Chirping
Feb 10, 2018
I have a two roosters and we haven't been able to find them new homes one of our hens hid a clutch of eggs from us and when I went outside today there were 6 new chicks. I don't know what do please help. How should I help take care of them?

You might want to consider (if possible) avoiding having waterers that baby chicks can fall into and drown, its one of my biggest problems with certain broody mamas, unfortunately it is not feasible for me to change over to chick safe waterers since I have about 25 different water bowls ... I can't afford it.. Instead i take the chicks from the specific birds who lure her chicks to drowning (my Old English Game Bantams have a history of do that)... Not every mama bird is that careless though, some will take their chicks to the safer watering station that they can't fall in.

You might want to consider (if possible) avoiding having waterers that baby chicks can fall into and drown, its one of my biggest problems with certain broody mamas, unfortunately it is not feasible for me to change over to chick safe waterers since I have about 25 different water bowls ... I can't afford it.. Instead i take the chicks from the specific birds who lure her chicks to drowning (my Old English Game Bantams have a history of do that)... Not every mama bird is that careless though, some will take their chicks to the safer watering station that they can't fall in.
cheaper to add some river rock or something into a few of the bowls so chicks cannot fall into them. Just a thought

cheaper to add some river rock or something into a few of the bowls so chicks cannot fall into them. Just a thought
I have considered that but it would take an awful lot of rocks, I use those black rubber feeders for waterers and I have about 25 of them, I likely will just make a crap load of maintenance work for me to tend to when I can just take the chicks from the few mama birds who are terrible about leading chicks to safe watering stations.

I clean my watering bowls twice a week, its a lot of work when I have 25 of them, if I included rocks in them it would take all day just cleaning the algae and poop slime off the rocks too. For now it takes me about 40 minutes to clean them all and I really do not want to spend more time than that.

I have considered that but it would take an awful lot of rocks, I use those black rubber feeders for waterers and I have about 25 of them, I likely will just make a crap load of maintenance work for me to tend to when I can just take the chicks from the few mama birds who are terrible about leading chicks to safe watering stations.

I clean my watering bowls twice a week, its a lot of work when I have 25 of them, if I included rocks in them it would take all day just cleaning the algae and poop slime off the rocks too. For now it takes me about 40 minutes to clean them all and I really do not want to spend more time than that.
that would be about time I would drag out the cheap pressure washer I got, used still works too, I only have 4 to deal with lol. I put rubberized sealant in coop for when I have to deep clean it, just pull everything out and let the pressure washer do the rest, then just spritz it with Clorox water and and let that dry while cleaning/Sanitizing the rest of the stuff from the coop

Back
Top Bottom