Accidental Goose

bclaflin

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2017
Michigan
My grandmother has had geese for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately this past week she broke her hip and now will be in a rehab facility for at least 8 weeks and if recovery doesnt go as planned will be going to a nursing home after. Over the past 5 years most of her flock has passed away but we are down to a single goose. Since my grandmother lives alone and will not be home to care for the goose I have taken her to my house. I have a nice house and pen set up for her in my backyard.
Now this is my first time caring for a bird of any species and I am kind of clueless.
So I will attach pictures of the goose and for any one that's interested she is well over 20 years old by my grandma's best guess she has to be between 25 and 28. Yes I realize this is an extremely old goose but she seems to be healthy and happy.
So onto my questions.
The pen we have set up now is about 12ftx35ft is this big enough? She used to free range on about 10 acres so I feel bad containing her but I live very close to a road and feel this is safer since she doesn't understand cars very well.
I have a kiddie pool in there how often should I change the water?
Does Miss Matilda need a goose friend or should we leave good enough alone since she is so old?
She doesn't really like people and is not very approachable but I don't believe she has seen a vet in years <10years. Should I get her checked or again due to age just leave it alone?
I'm including a picture of the house is this suitable to keep her locked in at night? Her old pen was big enough for 8 geese so its very small in comparison and I don't want to stress her out.
Any other bits of wisdom or help are also very appreciated . Thank you in advance!
[/IMG][/IMG]

Hi there!

First of all, best wishes to you and your grandmother.

I'm glad she has somebody to look after her goosie. I know I'd be very worried about my girls if something happened to me.

What are you feeding Miss Matilda? How is she appearing general health-wise? The pen should be big enough for her. Geese do need a flockmate to remain happy and healthy. It doesn't necessarily have to be another goose, but since Matilda has been around other geese her whole life and doesn't really seem to like anything else, it's probably wise to get her another goose (or two, Matilda might pass soon and you don't want a lonely young goose) for company, if you wish to accommodate one.

Back
Top Bottom