accidental new momma hen!

showbarnmom

Songster
7 Years
Dec 16, 2012
south central Texas
The husband and I have been talking for over year about getting some chickens for eggs. Slowly we have been acquiring material for a coop like none other. But have been taking our time since we have a 5 month old.

Well yesterday a hen at the facilities I volunteer at had a random little clutch of 9 little ones. Unfortunately they were not doing well. Peacocks picking them off, drowning in a community water bowl...you get the idea.

So rounded up what I could I brought them home to be safe! They are set up in a nice warm little brooding type box, safe waterer, and some started scratch they dove right into.

I'm anxious to see who makes it, my little mutt chicks.

welcome-byc.gif
I hope they do well!!!!!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Poor babies
sad.png
I'm so glad you found them! Get them some chick starter (medicated I think would be good in your situation) and put a little organic apple cider vinegar (ACV) in their drink water. That will give them a boost. Some Sevin Dust for mites/lice, just in case, and a dewormer if they're old enough. If they are fully feathered they should be. You can post pics of them in the What Breed Or Gender is This? section and we'll have a go at telling your age, breed and gender. Best of luck with them and I hope they all make it!

We started them on medicated starter, some probiotics in the water, and a nice warm heat lamp. They are 2-3 days old, so cent deworm.yet. I will post a picture and see if y'all can guess the breed!

Shame, they're only tiny little things then! I'm so glad they got a second chance with you. I'd love to see pics!

Back
Top Bottom