Accidental Peafowl Owners

FosteringPeas

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 18, 2014
Brush Prairie, Washington
The other day (jan 10th to be exact) four peafowl showed up on my back deck. Now I live in a very residential neighborhood, and while I wasn't the least bit shocked they chose our yard (stray animals always seem to end up here) I was shocked that they are peafowl. I have never seen any around here before, and despite ruthless searching for their owners, they have seemed to settle themselves in.

Now I traveled to our local feed store and grabbed "game bird" food and. Cedar shavings (I acually use this for our outdoor cats, repells fleas beautifully). My question is, is there anything more I should be doing? I have grown quite attached to them. Also, how can I tell if I have a male? When they first showed up I thought it was a mama and three babies. But the more I research, and the more time I spend around them, I'm starting to think the scenario may be a male and his harem.

Thank you for the help!

Left to Right: Aretha (Franklin) possible male? Etta (James), Ella (Fitzgerald), and in the back is Billy (Holiday). Can you tell I like jazz?

Last edited:
Your first post here on BYC? Congratulations,,and welcome,before Zaz beats me to it.Cedar has a nice scent to us humans in some cases but for many animals they do not like it at all.You have 3 India blue hens and one male Peacock in your pic, Without seeing a pic of Franklins tail,we cannot tell how old he is.This time of year males are growing new,long trains for breeding season so until maybe April-May it may not be possible to guess at his age.I would say he is at least a coming 2 year old by what train length is visible while he's perched on your railing.
If you want to keep them,they need to be caught and locked inside a building,or building with a flight pen for several months or they will continue to free range as wild ones do. Gamebird feed is great but peas loves seeds,such as what you would find in a wild bird feed mix sold for putting into bird feeders. They also love bread as a treat,break off small 1/2"x1/2" pieces and chances are if they immediatedly take to eating bread,it's a good chance they belonged to someone else that gave them bread. Mine love it and some will fly and perch on my arm to eat from a piece of it.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Franklin has no sign, thus far, of green or blue plumage on his back. It is all brown striped. I have noticed him displaying his feathers in the past 3 days or so. They do seem to enjoy the cedar, and frequently push out my cat for an afternoon nap.

About caging them, I am a little concerned that if we cage them, thus becoming "official owners" that our HOA would gripe, and I don't even know ifthere are any state laws required in owning peafowl in Washington state. They do stay in our yard all day, and occasionally wander into a communal and unused greenspace for foraging. I will try the bread too. They seem quite tame.

If you can approach them they are used to people being around then at one time.Perhaps someone bought them and didn't keep them penned up,thinking they would stay on their place,and they decided to take a walk-a-bout and wandered into your place.If you want them to hang aound,getting them used to a steady place of good feedstuffs will work.red Millet,Milo,cracked corn,Sunflower seeds,lettuce,watermelon are all big hits here.

I have never seen any around here before, and despite ruthless searching for their owners, they have seemed to settle themselves in.
Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
!!!!

Well, I just have to say, based on my own experience...
I have no doubt that you tried hard to find their owners. However, I strongly recommend that you keep trying.

When my boy Peggy was pea-napped, I called everywhere to ask if anyone found a peacock. At the Animal Services, Humane Society, feed stores, vets, etc., the universal response was "Wow, a lost peacock! How unusual!" In the meantime, the woman who found him was calling the same places. Only ONE of the places we both called many times managed to put 2 and 2 together and tell me about her report!
Please please keep trying, because peapeople love their peas and someone may really be missing them!
big_smile.png

I figured you were probably doing that!
big_smile.png

I just had to mention it, because I missed my peaboy so terribly, and I only got him back thanks to the persistence of the woman who found him!

That is one of the reasons I joined the site, in hopes that anyone from around my area would have posted anything. It's really hard to search the internet for peafowl owners in washington state. I searched for breeders, egg sale, and feather sale, even on etsy. Most places I have called told me to check craigslist or post on craigslist, which I have.

The other reason was that because they are in my custody, I wanted to make sure they were being taken care of properly, and to learn more about them. Of course I am getting attached to them, but I would happily return them if their owners were found.

Franklin is a baby he has not gotten his blue/ black cheeks yet and still has a cream belly , so i say around 5 to 6 months old.
Congratulations on the wonderful new family members, looks like someone spent time with them.

11 month old peacock

Back
Top Bottom