Accidentally got a Cedar Coop

MeoWusical

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2024
Hello!
I have a coop I bought off Amazon. Unfortunately, I recently learned that it’s wood is cedar from the reviews, something that I know that is toxic to birds. It doesn’t emit a very strong or noticeable odor when I’m collecting eggs, but when I smell the wood directly it’s definitely letting off it’s natural scent.
I’m trying to figure out if there is a kind of paint or primer that I could put on the wood’s interior to blog the odor.
I found Zinsser Odor Killer, which seems like it could work, but I wanted to double check with you all first, see if you know of anything better.

For some context on what the coop is like, my birdies only go in the coop for bedtime; they free roam during the day. It’s also attached to a small run that they have complete access to throughout the night.
IMG_2051.jpeg

Did the coop reviews mention the type of cedar used? I'd be more concerned by the lack of ventilation the coop provides more than the cedar - adding more ventilation should help overall.

My brooder is 100% untreated cedar, I have cedar in the litter... if there's little to no odor then offgassing shouldn't be a problem.

Hey, I did some searching and I think you should try a subreddit for wood/finishing I did see this one called r/finishing talking a few times about cedar wood. Although they won't know about the bird things they will know about cedar and options since the order of cedar and sensitive is something we even go though, as well as the options that are pet safe. That's just my thinking though and it's worth a try.

Did the coop reviews mention the type of cedar used? I'd be more concerned by the lack of ventilation the coop provides more than the cedar - adding more ventilation should help overall.

My brooder is 100% untreated cedar, I have cedar in the litter... if there's little to no odor then offgassing shouldn't be a problem.
No they just mentioned that the wood gave off an intense cedar smell. Mine didn’t, but I can tell that it’s cedar when I smell it directly.
The seller’s description for the coop even said that the type is just “wood”, nothing else 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

Hey, I did some searching and I think you should try a subreddit for wood/finishing I did see this one called r/finishing talking a few times about cedar wood. Although they won't know about the bird things they will know about cedar and options since the order of cedar and sensitive is something we even go though, as well as the options that are pet safe. That's just my thinking though and it's worth a try.
Tysm! I’ll give that a shot I think. If I can seal away as much of the fumes as I can I think it’ll lower any risk of hurting my duckies.
To answer @rosemarythyme s question about ventilation, I do have the doors open at all times during the day, and it has two small mesh windows just under the roof

Back
Top Bottom