Accidentally Hatched Chick

Not

This time. She went broody unexpectedly and the 3x5s were buried in my garage with 29 other orojects in front if them.
Ive had success in the nesting box combo before so just did that. Food and water was kept on the far side so she had to move to get to them.
For 18 days everything was going fine and looking normal. Then, "Yuck!"
It sounds like she didn't have enough space to move away from the eggs to poop and eat/drink and stretch her legs. from my very limited experience and what I have read here they are usually able to keep the nests clean if given the space to. I hope your little one makes it! Do you have an update?

It sounds like she didn't have enough space to move away from the eggs to poop and eat/drink and stretch her legs. from my very limited experience and what I have read here they are usually able to keep the nests clean if given the space to. I hope your little one makes it! Do you have an update?
I just saw you said hes doing good. Thats great!! Picture? We love fluffy little babies!

The little chick is doing great! Well on its way and appears to be perfectly happy.
I have used the same technique in the oast with great success and no issues like this before. This hen for nearly the whole process did get up when needed and jept the eggs clean until the very end. I think something went wrong and she instinctively knew it and so just stopped caring for them. Of the 13 eggs, i broke the only living chick but saved him. What are the odds?

It sounds like she didn't have enough space to move away from the eggs to poop and eat/drink and stretch her legs. from my very limited experience and what I have read here they are usually able to keep the nests clean if given the space to.
Usually, but sometimes they just lose control.
1 out of the 4 I've had pooped in the nest around day 21,
luckily it was pretty easy to clean up.

Back
Top Bottom