Accidentally started cornish x on medicated feed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by clucknpeck, Mar 16, 2013.

1. clucknpeck

clucknpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    I have never done meat birds. My husband bought home 3 Cornish cross chicks last time he got feed because he wants to try it out. Well I had chicks about the same age so I just put them in the brooder with them, and their medicated feed. It's been 3 days and it only occurred to me tonight that medicated feed cant be good for meat birds that are ready to butcher at a young age. These chicks have been eating an insane amount too. They're HUGE. That being said, I don't have much desire to keep them around and feed them for months on end.
    So did I ruin the prospects for butcher at 6-8 weeks? Can I switch them to flock raiser tomorrow? The feed stores aren't open and flock raiser is what I have.

2. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    Medicated chick starter is fine, per my local feed dealer, and the 15 cornish in my yard.

3. dragonfly130

dragonfly130 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Should be fine to butcher if off medicated feed for a week or two before butchering.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I always start mine on medicated feed but take them off for a a couple weeks before butchering. It says on my bag of feed that you can feed the medicated from start to finish.

5. clucknpeck

clucknpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Thanks for your responses everyone. This makes me feel much better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by