Accidently KILLED two of my meaties this morning :(

thats why its called an accident. i once ran over one of my jersey giants with the chicken tractor. I was new to chicken tractors and learned big time from that mistake. I completely dislocated both his legs. it was fast, but horrible. i had to kill him. I couldnt eat him(guilt). I went way way out in the woods ( 6 miles) and left his body for the critters. back to nature i suppose.

hugs.gif
I'm so sorry for your loss & your distress. But remember, it's really THEIR fault for pooping so much!

well, I've had all day to think about it and though I still feel bad just reading my original post and thinking about me falling in a coop full of poop with 48 stinking meaties is kind of funny (and embarassing)
tongue.gif

oh well the stories already been told on here so short version; week old meaties in tractor. I told the ESL gardener to set the sprinklers to come on at noon - that roughly translated to midnight, I put the 5 runts in for the eve leaving out 20 babies, got up in the morning to what looked like 20 itty bitty skinned chickies spread all over the lawn. The water had all but melted their down and they had chilled to death IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!

Quote:
I've done that I don't know how many times. With waters, feeders, you name it. They are crafty little chickens when they think they are going to be first by pushing their way through thinking they are getting to the water or food. I've done it, my gf has done it, my help has done it. I feel the same way regardless who does it or how many times I've done it.

And with falling on them.... I haven't done that yet but I have stepped on a few. They get under your feet and trip you up, I have pretty good balance so I don't fall but what I do not to fall is what ends up hurting one. I could so see Melanie (gf) slipping in some chicken poor squashing a chicken and would come down crying. Not because of the chicken but because she got chicken poop all over her. Once she cleaned up and found out she killed a chicken... she would probably cry some more!

It happens, you will be smarter next time.

Quote:
Now that's a tough one... I've lost some to rain... but not a sprinkler! I feel your pain, I've done some pretty dumb stuff where it's like.... $&#!.... I wish I could have that one back!

Back
Top Bottom