Acclimating chicks to outdoors in south Texas

Tdoten

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2019
Corpus Christi, TX
Our baby chicks are 4 weeks old today. We went ahead and staged their coop so we could begin bringing them outdoors for a little while each day to get them used to being outside. When we brought them out today from the brooder (high 90’s) they immediately began to show signs of heat distress: spread/lowered wings and heavy panting. We kept cool water available and only left them out there for about 45 minutes before taking them back in because I was worried.

What’s the best way to get them acclimated to the hot temperatures here and not shock them when moving them outside?

Ours are just a couple of days younger than yours. Their first day out was when they were 12 days old. I made a pvc pipe movable run that we put them in. We always put them out by 08:00 (when it's ONLY :( about 80 - 82 degrees) or so and they are now staying out for about 3 hours - until they are good and tired and the temp is mid 90s. I do have a tarp over the top so they are always shaded. I check for panting and haven't seen any yet.

Back
Top Bottom