1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Acclimating Chicks to the cold question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Buster, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I've been keeping mine in a 75 gallon aquarium in the basement because the brower brooder in the garage didn't keep the temps stable enough in the bitter cold temps we have been having. Now that they are 4-5 weeks old I just moved them into it again and I'm watching to see how they do. I can't handle the smell in the basement anymore. It's not bad when they are first hatched but after 3-4 weeks it gets unbearable. The ones I moved to the heated Brower brooder in the garage have a lot of feathers and the temps say 90-94 degrees but they are all sitting around huddled up like they are cold. Has anyone had experience with this? Are they going to be ok or do I need to put them back in the basement for a while?

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    How long have they been there? Is the floor concrete? If it is put something between them and it to insulate it some more.. The air temp. can be warm but the temp on their feet cold. If you have to bring them back in ,use furnace air flilters over the top. It will help with dust and odor. Keep it very dry. I put puppy pee pads in the brooder under the layer of soft wood shavings that helped some. I got the ones with baking soda inbetween the layers. Also you can put some DE or stall dry under the layer of soft wood shavings to help with the odor. Good luck with your fuzzy butts Jean

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks Jean. They are on wire in the Brower brooder. Maybe their feet are cold. I wonder what I can put in there to insulate their feet more? They have only been in there for a couple of hours.

I'm definitely going to use the furnace filter idea for my basement brooders (I still have more chicks down there).

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I've been checking on them and they were still all huddled on the wire so I put some newspaper down to help insulate them from the wire, cut drafts and hold in the heat better. I'll go check again in a half hour.

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I would think that they are pretty well featherd in by now and if the temp is in the 90's I would think that they are fine, maybe they are still unsure of their new surroundings. The newspaper is a good idea.

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks. Here is a pic of the setup. I've had quail in there for a couple of months but when I put day-old chicks in, they started having problems so I brought them inside where I wouldn't have to stress about it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    wow that is a really cool brooder!

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

It was a gift. [​IMG]

9. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    what a great gift!

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Are they huddled near the heat source or away from it? Could they be huddling away from a draft? Are they panting or spreading their wings?
    90 to 94 degrees at 4 to 5 weeks old seems awful hot to me.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by