Achieving Red Pyle in Ameraucana?

NagemTX

Dragon Chicken
Premium Feather Member
Apr 14, 2022
Angleton TX
My Coop
My Coop
How would one do this?(I know its considered an EE due to color.)

Pic from cregslist.
00b0b_1cZzMroCFxsz_0ak07K_600x450.jpg

If you just like the look and don't care if it's technically correct I'd go with breeding splash wheaten and breeding towards the cleanest whitest ones.

If you just like the look and don't care if it's technically correct I'd go with breeding splash wheaten and breeding towards the cleanest whitest ones.
That would be cool but would neither be red nor duckwing.
So it would look radically different from red pyle, especially for females.
But yeah, if you like the look.

That would be cool but would neither be red nor duckwing.
So it would look radically different from red pyle, especially for females.
But yeah, if you like the look.
Why wouldn't it be as red as a Pyle?
No not duckwing but a male wheaten wouldn't be far off from a male duckwing.
Agree the hens would be different but idk if that's important to the poster.
To stick with the real deal don't they have silvers that are duckwing? Also some whites that are dominate white? Use those and bring in gold from wheatens ?

I've been trying to google to see if the whites are Dominate but most the info is saying they are recessive.

Also thank you all for replying to me.

Last edited:
If you want to make Red Pyle starting from pure Ameraucana varieties, I found a list of varieties with photos here:
http://ameraucana.org/Ameraucana Photos

It looks like the Silver ones have the Duckwing pattern. You could get the gold gene from Buff, Brown Red, Wheaten, or Blue Wheaten.
I don't see any variety that is certain to carry Dominant White, but you could try some whites and see.
Also, it's fairly common for Buffs in any breed to have Dominant White, so you could try crossing Buffs with Silvers and see what comes out. If the Buffs do happen to have Dominant White, then Buff + Silver would probably provide at least most of the genes you need to make Red Pyle. I don't know if you could pick out the right red shade from crosses of those parents, or if you would need to cross in something else (like Brown Reds) to get a darker red.

If you can't get Dominant White from any Ameraucana variety, just pick an Easter Egger who has it, or a chicken of any other breed, and keep crossing back to Ameraucanas until you have all the other traits right. I don't think it's linked to any other genes that would matter, so repeated backcrossing should work fine to transfer that one gene.

I've been trying to google to see if the whites are Dominate but most the info is saying they are recessive.

Even if they are recessive white, they could have other white genes too, and you wouldn't know until you tried breeding them.

I don't remember how much you know about chicken genetics, so apologies if you don't need this part:

There are a bunch of genes that make "white" in chickens.
Dominant White turns black into white.
Silver turns gold into white.
Recessive white turns everything into white.
Barring and Mottling add white in particular patterns, too.
A chicken can also have more than one of those genes, or even all of them.

Solid white chickens sometimes have recessive white, and other times they have the genes for solid black and then Dominant White to turn them white.

Any chicken with a red-and-white pattern has a good chance of having Dominant White (this includes the common Red Sexlinks, and White Laced Red chickens, and "Buff Laced" chickens that have white lacing on gold.)

I'm pretty intermediate on genetics. Been a very long time since I dabbled in it back in 4-H and high school. Did two science fair projects on it and has always fascinated me.

I'm just now in a place to something I love with that knowledge. I hope to get a project going just to see what I can do with it. Been having a hard time deciding on what to do as I don't want to it to get too complicated or take me longer than a decade to achieve it. 😊

All the info that has been provided is very helpful and I think this might be the project I'll be trying out. It seams more achievable than the others I wish to do. (Long tailed, crested, bearded, muffed and blue egg laying chickens in a few colors. Extreme aspirations that one is.) What you have listed has pointed me in the right direction to stay with in the breed instead of out crossing to another. If I have to I'll look at purchessing from the person on cregslist to get started and bring in more ameraucana blood when I can get good specimens.

Back
Top Bottom