Acidified Copper Sulfate Water Is Cloudy

micstrachan

Addict
7 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Greetings! I am treating my flock with acidified copper sulfate, because one of my hens is having a crop issue. The solution is cloudy with sediment, and they don't like it. I want to treat them all week, but I don't want them getting dehydrated if they won't drink it. Has anyone else treated with acidified copper sulfate and had a cloudy solution? I'm adding 1/4 tsp. to a gallon of water. Thanks!

ACV or white vineagar in your solution? And did you use warm water to mix? White makes slightly less off water as does mixing with warm water. Easy solution is dilute 1/4 teaspoon to two gallons and treat a few days longer. Honestly though since you're using it for crop issues and not canker you could probably do 1/4 teaspoon to a gallon and a half and treat the normal week. The water isn't good so the weaker you can make it and still be effective the more likely they'll drink it.:)

Last edited:
Thank you for replying!

No vinegar in my solution. Doesn’t the citric acid take care of acidifying it? I’m happy to add vinegar, if that helps.

I didn’t use warm water the first time, but did the second time, and this morning used hot at first, gradually turning the temp down until it was warm.

Do I really need to mix it fresh each day? I have five waterers, so it was a bit of a task before work this morning, especially since had to use heated water (I usually take care of their water with a garden hose and a bottle brush).

I add the vinegar because it helps mask the taste, plain and simple. Yeah pain in the rear but you do need to put out a fresh solution everyday. If perchance you can't for some reason it isn't a huge deal. Especially since you aren't treating for anything too nasty.:)
Thank you for replying!

No vinegar in my solution. Doesn’t the citric acid take care of acidifying it? I’m happy to add vinegar, if that helps.

I didn’t use warm water the first time, but did the second time, and this morning used hot at first, gradually turning the temp down until it was warm.

Do I really need to mix it fresh each day? I have five waterers, so it was a bit of a task before work this morning, especially since had to use heated water (I usually take care of their water with a garden hose and a bottle brush).

I add the vinegar because it helps mask the taste, plain and simple. Yeah pain in the rear but you do need to put out a fresh solution everyday. If perchance you can't for some reason it isn't a huge deal. Especially since you aren't treating for anything too nasty.:)

Ok, good to know. I’ll keep it up. I’ll round up the waterers tonight and have them all ready so my morning task is easier. :) Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom