Dosage of Acidified Copper Sulfate

The Welch Chickens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 18, 2023
Rhode Island
I need clarification on how to use acidified copper sulfate in my chicken's drinking water to treat sour crop. I just want to be prepared if I do end up needing this for treatment in the future. As you can see in the attached picture, it says to mix 1 pound of the powder into 2 gallons of water. Then, put 1 ounce (which is the same as 2 tablespoons) of that mixture into one gallon of drinking water. BUT, on Jedd's website under this product, it also states "Dosage treatment for crop fungus/white spots: Administer 1/4 teaspoon per one gallon of drinking water for 3-5 days." QUESTION: Why does it first say to use 2 tablespoons, and then it says to use 1/4 teaspoon?? That is a huge difference. I just don't want to put too much of the stock solution into their drinking water. Please let me know how much you mixed into the drinking water if you've used acidified copper sulfate.
1707272136953.png

it says to mix 1 pound of the powder into 2 gallons of water.
Words matter. Read that label again and the description from Jedd's (Below).

It actually says,
Mix 1lb of powder into 256 gallons of water

OR

Mix 1lb of powder into 2 gallons of STOCK SOLUTION. When using PROPORTIONERS, set it to deliver 1oz of STOCK SOLUTION per gallon of drinking water -
1:128.
There are settings (proportioners) that set the rate of supplements/medications/additives that are put into stock tanks.
These directions are for large stock tanks that are used in poultry housing, etc.

For your everyday backyard poultry keeper and flock. 1/4 TEASPOON Acidified Copper Sulfate to 1 Gallon of drinking water is the correct dose. Give for 3-5 days.

Acidified Copper Sulfate is very strong, so measure correctly. Do not put into metal water stations or use metal utensils to mix it. Use rubber or plastic water stations.

From Jedd's
https://jedds.com/products/acidified-copper-sulfate-animal-science?_pos=3&_sid=0683446ae&_ss=r

Description​

For prevention and treatment of Crop Fungus. Prevents/Treats Blackhead Disease in poultry!
For prevention and treatment of Crop Fungus.
Treats Blackhead Disease in poultry!
Acidified Copper Sulfate is used as an antimicrobial to sanitize water lines and waterers for poultry. It can also be used as a preventative and treatment for blackhead (histomoniasis) in turkeys and canker (trichomonosis) in chickens. Acidified Copper Sulfate is supplied as a 1-lb powder.

To use, dilute 1 pound into 2 gallons of water. Then add this stock solution by mixing 1 ounce into 1 gallon of drinking water. To treat disease, give the final dilution as a sole source of drinking water for 7-10 days. Dump and replace the final dilution drinking water every 24 hours during the entire treatment period.

Composition:
Copper sulfate pentahydrate, Citric acid, Anhydrous.
Dosage Treatment:
CROP FUNGUS or WHITE SPOTS
Administer 1/4 teaspoon per one gallon of drinking water for 3-5 days. Also can be added to bath water at rate of 2 teaspoons per 5 gallons of bath water.

1 lb treats 256 gals of water.

Words matter. Read that label again and the description from Jedd's (Below).

It actually says,
Mix 1lb of powder into 256 gallons of water

OR

Mix 1lb of powder into 2 gallons of STOCK SOLUTION. When using PROPORTIONERS, set it to deliver 1oz of STOCK SOLUTION per gallon of drinking water -
1:128.
There are settings (proportioners) that set the rate of supplements/medications/additives that are put into stock tanks.
These directions are for large stock tanks that are used in poultry housing, etc.

For your everyday backyard poultry keeper and flock. 1/4 TEASPOON Acidified Copper Sulfate to 1 Gallon of drinking water is the correct dose. Give for 3-5 days.

Acidified Copper Sulfate is very strong, so measure correctly. Do not put into metal water stations or use metal utensils to mix it. Use rubber or plastic water stations.

From Jedd's
https://jedds.com/products/acidified-copper-sulfate-animal-science?_pos=3&_sid=0683446ae&_ss=r

Description​

For prevention and treatment of Crop Fungus. Prevents/Treats Blackhead Disease in poultry!
For prevention and treatment of Crop Fungus.
Treats Blackhead Disease in poultry!
Acidified Copper Sulfate is used as an antimicrobial to sanitize water lines and waterers for poultry. It can also be used as a preventative and treatment for blackhead (histomoniasis) in turkeys and canker (trichomonosis) in chickens. Acidified Copper Sulfate is supplied as a 1-lb powder.

To use, dilute 1 pound into 2 gallons of water. Then add this stock solution by mixing 1 ounce into 1 gallon of drinking water. To treat disease, give the final dilution as a sole source of drinking water for 7-10 days. Dump and replace the final dilution drinking water every 24 hours during the entire treatment period.

Composition:
Copper sulfate pentahydrate, Citric acid, Anhydrous.
Dosage Treatment:
CROP FUNGUS or WHITE SPOTS
Administer 1/4 teaspoon per one gallon of drinking water for 3-5 days. Also can be added to bath water at rate of 2 teaspoons per 5 gallons of bath water.

1 lb treats 256 gals of water.
Ok, thank you.

Be very careful with this, there are many interactions among minerals. If one mineral is over fed it can eliminate the uptake of other necessary minerals that can lead to deficiencies.
I'm doing a seven-day treatment for a hen with crop issues. It seems to be working, she is improving well. The treatment stops tomorrow; I will be giving them lots of probiotics to make up for those killed during treatment, like this article suggests:
**However, if this doughy crop just refuses to move, (especially in those adult birds) there could be a heavy Coccidiosis infection, Canker or even an E.coli imbalance enough to cause this huge case of Doughy, yeasty crop. I have had a few cases of Doughy crop that were so stubborn, Acidified Copper Sulfate was the only thing that got them moving. The interesting thing about ACS is that it will take care of an over growth of not only yeast, but E.coli, Cocci, Vent Gleet and Canker as well, all of which can gum a crop right up. Copper Sulfate is used in all animal feeds as a source of Copper. However in large quantities it is toxic to pretty much everything. I have never had problems using it on my birds, however make sure to use it properly, measure it out accurately and use it for on the specified amount of time.

To make a batch of Acidified Copper Sulfate: 1/4 teaspoon ACS to one gallon of water and 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar. The Acidified Copper Sulfate is bitter and the ACV will make it palatable, even taste good. You can use a little of this for a few days, it will last that long. Change the birds water daily and give them new each day for 7 days. 10 days is max. If the bird is improving but not well at day 7, use some probiotics for a couple of days, allowing the bird to flush their system of the Copper and start back up on the Copper a couple days later and run it through them again. When the treatment is finished, make SURE to use probiotics for a week to replenish all that was lost or all this could reoccur again. Follow this with ACV a few days here and there through out the month to pickle up the intestines, pathogens have a hard time taking hold in a sour gut.**

Back
Top Bottom