Ack, quick, need help! Bread Baking Problem

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Black Feather, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Ok, my bread machine mixed the bread dough and let the loaf rise once, then mixed and allowed to set again, but did not turn on and bake the bread.

What should I do?? I have the bread dough in a bread pan and am warming the oven up to approximately 425. Will this get the bread baked?? How ling should I bake it for? I've only made two loafs of bread in the machine and never made oven baked bread ever...help!!

Urban Coyote

2. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    What type of bread?

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Actually I bake mine at a lower heat than that. I also put it on the lower shelf. It will brown on top first. Are you sure your bread pan can tolerate the oven? If not punch the bread down and reform it and let it rise in an oven safe pan greased with butter. Yummmy Jean

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    if it's super puffy, punch the dough down, let it rest for 5 minutes.

shape into loaf. put into buttered or oiled loaf pan. cover with plastic wrap or damp tea towel. let it rise in an oven with the oven light on for 30 minutes, or until the dough is 1" above the edge of the pan.

take out. preheat oven to 350. bake for about 30 minutes.

let it cool a minute in the pan, then turn it out onto a cooling rack. eat it hot if you can't wait or cool completely for easy slicing and store in bag.

hope it's delicious!

5. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    It's a white bread with some Italian herbs.

Sooooo....what temperature, and for how long?

I have one of those flexible loaf pans....I'm afraid that's all I have so will have to make due. It lists temps as high as 440 as safe.

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I'd go closer to 350 degrees. Check it after half an hour? Thump it. If it sounds hollow it's done. If it's burnt it's really done! Sorry, just kidding there. Good luck!! I think you'll be able to save it. [​IMG]

7. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    Arrrrrr!!!! I don't do bread....I do cookies, I do cookies really well. I've been told my cookies are the best in the world ... This bread thing with the living ingredients just throws me waaaayyyy offf [​IMG]

Ok, oven is pre-heated to 400 and will turn down to 350. Does transferring dough to multiple pans count as beating it to death? Can I bake now???

Uhg, can't handle the stress....it's past my bedtime as it is.......

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:did you let it rise first? after disturbing dough it needs to rise or rest a bit.

it may be really heavy if you don't let it rise.

don't panic. if you can do cookies, you got this licked.

9. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Okay according to the Pilsbury Complete book of Baking, preheat oven to 350 degrees, place in a greased loaf pan let dough rise until 1 inch above edge of pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until crust is a light golden brown and loaf makes a hollow sound when lightly thumped.

You can also brush melted butter over the top of the bread before baking to give it a really golden crust.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  10. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    It is actually ok to let the down rise several times. With each time the grain bread will be finer for lack of a better word..... However, if punch down and let rise too many times like more than 10 it will eventually stop rising.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by