Acres of Poison Ivy

The main issue is that renting goat will be a constant thing until the plant is so starved it does repopulate since the root is still there waiting to put out more leaves.
I’ve honestly never hated a plant or area so much before as I do living here and it’s realllllly hard to get over how amazing this place could be but the stupid ivy season ruins it 😩
The goats eat the poison ivy and then the area is treated. You could address your concerns with a place that rents goats and has expertise in this process, but you seem quite averse to the idea.
Anyway, good luck, I hope you find an acceptable solution.

No, they will not poop it out and germinate more because poison ivy does not have seeds
As soon as the poison ivy starts flowering, it can and will spread seeds. The seeds don't have to come from the mature berries. Unless the goats consume every plant (including their extensive root system, which is unlikely) before this happens in about 5 months, it will be insufficient. Even before the seeds and berries, goats wont rip the roots up and the ivy will continue to grow from the roots. If the roots happen to be exposed or uprooted and moved elsewhere, this will cause quicker growth. Goats may help the current plants, but is an unnecessary expense and headache because its a very temporary approach. The ivy will be back next year. Derooting it completely before it sexually matures or chemically killing it is the only answer.

Nap time! My husband and I always schedule projects we do together when the kids are all sleeping in the afternoon.
Yeah....unfortunately she knows when we’re trying to get stuff done together. The second we try to start a project she will wake up but if I lay there with her she will sleep for hours (sometimes).

Renting goats is definitely the way to go. It will come back though. I'd suggest doing it in the fall so the plants don't have a chance to regrow before winter. Then go out on a cool day in full sleeves and gloves and RIP OUT EVERY VINE/ROOT YOU SEE. This is what we've done. We actually bought a few goats though, and only recently sold them after 2 years.

We have a half acre patch of PI and I made the mistake of using a 60" finish mower on it. The blades made a mist of it and I ended up on oral benadryl, Prednisone and topical caladryl. I was miserable and scratched until I bled.

I went back a couple of weeks later and found a field of foot tall PI vines. The guy at the local Ag extension suggested spraying triclopyr at a 25% richer mix than the bottle recommended, and it worked great. I have to retreat occasionally because it flares up here and there but it's so much better than before.

I wish you the best and will pray for you!

We have a half acre patch of PI and I made the mistake of using a 60" finish mower on it. The blades made a mist of it and I ended up on oral benadryl, Prednisone and topical caladryl. I was miserable and scratched until I bled.

I went back a couple of weeks later and found a field of foot tall PI vines. The guy at the local Ag extension suggested spraying triclopyr at a 25% richer mix than the bottle recommended, and it worked great. I have to retreat occasionally because it flares up here and there but it's so much better than before.

I wish you the best and will pray for you!
I am very very sorry for you. Very. It hurt to read this. Yes. Do not mow it. Goats.

I am wildly sensitive to the urushiol in poison ivy. And it seems to circumvent any method I have of protecting myself. It just finds a way to jump on me. We have a similar situation with acres of heavily wooded land and loads of poison ivy (and Virginia Creeper and so on). I have already gotten rashes on my arms and face twice this year and it's only May. People have suggested goats to me, too, but I don't want them eating all the wildflowers. I try to limit the use of poison (no glyphosate, that stuff is wicked, but I do use some triclopyr in places where the ivy has taken over). But mostly I try to cover up as much as possible and yank it out by the roots. I have tossed out garbage bag after garbage bag. I did learn my lesson about burning some limbs with poison ivy vines - never again because the oils will attack you in the smoke. When I see a poison ivy vine on a tree, I cut it as close to the base as possible and put some poison on the cut vine going into the ground. (Another lesson - don't pull the vine out of the tree because it WILL come down and smack you in the face. Ask me how I know this.) Finally, your husband should know that the more exposure he has to the stuff, the more likely he is to develop a sensitivity to it. At any rate, you have my sympathy and I am fighting the good fight alongside you!

Back
Top Bottom