Acres of Poison Ivy

If you’re as allergic to poison ivy as it seems you can get a similar rash from Virginia Creeper.
My step father cut up a tree with VC vine thick on it. He swears it was poison ivy but it was actually VC. Got tired of arguing so I just let him think what ever he wants. Anyway the saw cutting the vines and the spray put him in a bad way for a pretty good piece. Nearly swelled his eyes closed even with safety glasses on.
Long story short depending on your body chemistry VC can give similar reactions as poison ivy. If you get the juices on you.
I’d look for someone to remove it for you either a landscape company or someone with an applicators license. I’m not super allergic to poison ivy (mild rash sometimes) so I normally use long sleeves gloves face shield and weed eater and cut it to the ground and then some.
Sadly true. Its more known for intestinal troubles and mouth/throat issues from the oxalates in the berries, but it can cause a contact dermatitis reaction just like Poison Ivy/Oak in those sensitive to it, though the mechanism is unclear. Urushoil (the nasty shit in all the toxicodendrons) is the Ivy/oak/Sumac cuplrit. Keep your oral Benadryl on hand if you are one of the afflicted.

My husband isn’t allergic at all so he claims he will go out and weed it all of it (as long as I keep the weed eater stocked on cord or whatever it’s called 🤷🏼‍♀️ We got this weird on and he battles to thread it but I’ve got it down so it’s our new system)
However he’s real good at making a looooong project list and tackles one maybe 2 things but he works over 72 hours most weeks and enjoys “days off” whatever those are
I understand I’m not one to judge. Anyone that has put in a 72 hour week at a job has done plenty regardless of field and deserve days off as much as wanted.
Good luck with your poison ivy.

I don't miss stepping barefoot on these. We had some growing up. Honestly, I'd hack the tree all around with a machete and spray them with the triclopyr. or glyphosphate. or whatever I had handy.

Maybe leave some on the back acres where I don't walk - but in the 10 acres where I do spend my time??? NO sweet gum. My condolences.

View attachment 2660355
Lawn mower belts #1 enemy

Okay here’s a bunch of photos:

Virginia Creeper
656C255B-0F6C-47BB-B9C9-AD98B978B985.jpeg

unknown to me
AC28B5EB-0461-4756-B2E0-1D1C987BEC83.jpeg

what I assume is poison ivy? Could be Something else?
B2735220-F73E-44E6-83CB-D73F4DA64FC1.jpeg

Looking into the woods from the brooder my pitty is obviously blending in and the rarely every used dog pen is to the left of the photo

7967CAD6-E7FA-4D05-8699-576653154C01.jpeg

unknown plant:
B6BD62AC-A67B-4B62-955B-22F1D556BB65.jpeg

whole mess of idk

672E4F41-B4BA-406E-AD51-BD9C7953A6DB.jpeg

Attachments

• 768C9BE4-5051-48CB-ACBC-9EC71779A401.jpeg
    768C9BE4-5051-48CB-ACBC-9EC71779A401.jpeg
    526.6 KB · Views: 8
I’ll try and post some photos and maybe everyone can tell me I’m wrong and make me feel 10000% better 😩
I jumped the gun posting that (lol) as i seen you later said you done your research and was pretty confident it was poison ivy. Either way, it would be fun to get confirmation from others. I despise the crap. I have grown out of my allergic reactions to it. It don't effect me anymore, other than maybe a small spot that dont spread, but as a kid i would swell up like a balloon and have to get shots. My children have been to the doctors multiple times for shots and steroids. They've had to miss school it gets so bad. I hope they grow out of it like i did. Not everyone gets so lucky tho, lol. This is the latest case back in October. This was about a week later, after it was finally healing and the swelling was getting better. Her eyes were swelled shut for 3 days and she was almost unrecognizable. Our treatments have been restocked as spring is upon us! Any day now! Lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210509-180623_Remind.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-180623_Remind.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 8
unknown to me
View attachment 2660451

View attachment 2660450
Looks more like poison oak to me, particularly the top one.

These look like a mix of Virginia Creeper (particularly the five leaf clusters at lower left) and hang on, I know the middle picture, but its escaping me right now. Hang on, I'll find it. Believe it or not, I'm not good with plants - Poison Ivy never bothered me, so I used to sit in it as a Boy Scout, just to see who else was paying attention.

Virginia Creeper
View attachment 2660438

unknown to me
View attachment 2660451

View attachment 2660450

Looking into the woods from the brooder my pitty is obviously blending in and the rarely every used dog pen is to the left of the photo

View attachment 2660440

unknown plant:
View attachment 2660448

whole mess of idk

View attachment 2660446
You have both. Looks like more Virginia creeper than poison ivy but definitely both are there. Juvenile creeper resembles poison ivy until it’s last two leaves form. Easily confusing and I’m not 100% but your mystery plant looks like it could be a species of trumpet vine

Last edited:
Looks more like poison oak to me, particularly the top one.

These look like a mix of Virginia Creeper (particularly the five leaf clusters at lower left) and hang on, I know the middle picture, but its escaping me right now. Hang on, I'll find it. Believe it or not, I'm not good with plants - Poison Ivy never bothered me, so I used to sit in it as a Boy Scout, just to see who else was paying attention.
I was feeling like it was poison oak but didn’t want feel dumb being wrong 🤣 I started wondering as I was taking photos if we even had poison ivy but after googling again I definitely feel like some poison ivy is present.

I almost want to test if I’m allergic to Virginia creeper since I thought it didn’t cause allergic reactions.

You have both. Looks like more Virginia creeper than poison ivy but definitely both are there. Juvenile creeper resembles poison ivy until it’s last two leaves form. Easily confusing and I’m not 100% but your mystery plant looks like it could be a species of trumpet vine
Trumpets are odd pinnate, yes, but I expect them to be more jagged (perhaps in my ignorance, I know there are a LOT of trumpet varieties out there). I thought Kentucky Yellowwood, but the leaves are symmetrical here, they aren't in yellowwood.

There ARE some nuts that look vaguely like that, but I'm not used to seeing them as groundcover.

Back
Top Bottom