Acres of Poison Ivy

Pics
Maybe till it then rake it out?? Or do a controlled burn...Only problem is that if you're allergic, burning will allow you to inhale it which is worse than anything. Maybe do sections. I have it all but we just live with it, of course I do any chores that are close to it because my GF is highly allergic LOL, but I find that if I dig it up by the roots and throw it in the trash it's slowed down some of the spread.

GET GOATS You can rent them here in ct....use snow fence to contain them. Glyphosate is a known carcinogen. THere is also a soap that removes the oil from your skin. BABY WIPES work if you know you’ve made contact.

Chickens won't react to poison ivy. I have to control it on my property here in MI by walking around and spot-spraying all PI I can see with 10% (yes, really) glyphosate. Also I chop out a piece of every hairy vine I see. It takes vigilance but it works.

Chickens won't react to poison ivy. I have to control it on my property here in MI by walking around and spot-spraying all PI I can see with 10% (yes, really) glyphosate. Also I chop out a piece of every hairy vine I see. It takes vigilance but it works.
Yea. The property went without maintaining for 3 years so it went out of control.

Hello everyone,

i have a bit of a predicament - well really I have acres of issues :lau

I plan to free range my chickens but realistically we’re gonna see what happens. I’m pretty sensitive to poison ivy and really not like deadly or anything but if it touches me I’m getting it and last poison ivy I had was around my eye and on my eye lid. And let me tell you me and steroids turn straight into roid rage and my marriage was hanging on...well a thin vine 😂
Kudos to my husband for telling me to “pull that vine off the tree!” Turns out that thick fuzzy vine was dormant poison ivy - yay me. Guess I touched my eye along the way as well😱 now I’m horrified of the poison ivy because I have had too many poor experiences not that any experience with ivy is all that great

anyways since we started clearing the woods from large trees it seems as if we gave the right light for all the poison ivy to grow and literally take over as our natural ground cover now.
We have bought a large concentrated form of Glyphosate that we’ve treated our dog pen with and some areas around the house as our 15 month old is EXTREMELY mobile and treks through the woods tripping and falling into many patches of it and 🤞has yet to get any magically on her 🤞

however this is not the point 🤪 my point is with free ranging chickens do we have to worry about their safety among the ivy?
I know all about the lovely transfer that happens when things with fur and feathers brush up against it and don’t absorb it but instead give it as a gift to the next hairless creature that loves up on them.

Would it be safe to treat our woods with Glyphosate or would be be harming the ecosystem?

I want to kill the ivy not all the birds and bees along with it.

I’ve tried to read up on other posts and I’m well aware of the other forms of herbicides that come with a little alchemy involved but if I’m taking my sweet time to spray acres I want a real kill of it and not a seasonal kill.

If we manage to not get it all would the birds be in danger?
Would it be more of a ecological hazard to spray so much area?
Would it make it impossible for any other plants to grow?
From what I’ve read on the bottle you can plant other plants in the same area after a few hours? Does this mean other species of plants might grow back or am I killing the land

Hello everyone,

i have a bit of a predicament - well really I have acres of issues :lau

I plan to free range my chickens but realistically we’re gonna see what happens. I’m pretty sensitive to poison ivy and really not like deadly or anything but if it touches me I’m getting it and last poison ivy I had was around my eye and on my eye lid. And let me tell you me and steroids turn straight into roid rage and my marriage was hanging on...well a thin vine 😂
Kudos to my husband for telling me to “pull that vine off the tree!” Turns out that thick fuzzy vine was dormant poison ivy - yay me. Guess I touched my eye along the way as well😱 now I’m horrified of the poison ivy because I have had too many poor experiences not that any experience with ivy is all that great

anyways since we started clearing the woods from large trees it seems as if we gave the right light for all the poison ivy to grow and literally take over as our natural ground cover now.
We have bought a large concentrated form of Glyphosate that we’ve treated our dog pen with and some areas around the house as our 15 month old is EXTREMELY mobile and treks through the woods tripping and falling into many patches of it and 🤞has yet to get any magically on her 🤞

however this is not the point 🤪 my point is with free ranging chickens do we have to worry about their safety among the ivy?
I know all about the lovely transfer that happens when things with fur and feathers brush up against it and don’t absorb it but instead give it as a gift to the next hairless creature that loves up on them.

Would it be safe to treat our woods with Glyphosate or would be be harming the ecosystem?

I want to kill the ivy not all the birds and bees along with it.

I’ve tried to read up on other posts and I’m well aware of the other forms of herbicides that come with a little alchemy involved but if I’m taking my sweet time to spray acres I want a real kill of it and not a seasonal kill.

If we manage to not get it all would the birds be in danger?
Would it be more of a ecological hazard to spray so much area?
Would it make it impossible for any other plants to grow?
From what I’ve read on the bottle you can plant other plants in the same area after a few hours? Does this mean other species of plants might grow back or am I killing the land?
This isn't really what you asked, but I thought you might appreciate the advice from a fellow Poison ivy sufferer. When I was a kid, my mom gave me some poison ivy extract in pill form. They just tasted like sugar pills. I obviously developed an immunity to it. For years, I could pull it up with my hands with zero effects. Then one year, my immunity went away. The resulting rash was horrid! It was all over my arms, which spread to my sides because my arms touched them while sleeping. I was miserable. Steroid shot had zero affect. I finally got a very expensive prescription cream that cleared it up.
I was determined to find those pills again. I did, and voila, I can touch it again with no effects. The last time I went to buy it, it was on backorder until July. I guess more people are finding out about it. Just google search "poison ivy pills" and read the reviews. I've seen a different brand that had so-so reviews.
Happy clearing!

This isn't really what you asked, but I thought you might appreciate the advice from a fellow Poison ivy sufferer. When I was a kid, my mom gave me some poison ivy extract in pill form. They just tasted like sugar pills. I obviously developed an immunity to it. For years, I could pull it up with my hands with zero effects. Then one year, my immunity went away. The resulting rash was horrid! It was all over my arms, which spread to my sides because my arms touched them while sleeping. I was miserable. Steroid shot had zero affect. I finally got a very expensive prescription cream that cleared it up.
I was determined to find those pills again. I did, and voila, I can touch it again with no effects. The last time I went to buy it, it was on backorder until July. I guess more people are finding out about it. Just google search "poison ivy pills" and read the reviews. I've seen a different brand that had so-so reviews.
Happy clearing!
Woah! That sounds interesting! I’ll have to look into that.

Back
Top Bottom