Acting *Does anyone know much about Governor's School?*

kargo

Songster
10 Years
May 8, 2009
I'm super shy. It's painful for me to talk to my own friends a lot of the time. And anyone new? Haha, you'd better forget that.

I've had this much experience in plays:
*tried out for lead role in elementary school and was an understudy
*I was in a skit in which I played a rock once for a camp thing

However, I've been told many times by friends and teachers and whatnot that I should be in drama class, because I would apparently do very well. I've always secretly wanted to be in a play, and I very much enjoy watching them.

I've got a lot of people right now, drama teachers included, trying to convince me to try out for the play that we'll have this upcoming school year. This list of people includes someone we'll call M. M has done acting since she was very young, and took acting classes as a child. Evidently one of her teachers tried to convince her to go into the commercial business once. M is very talented in everything. Art, drama, singing, you name it and that girl can do it. I'm convinced that if she wants it, she can and will be famous one day. M was the star of our school play this year, and did a wonderful job both singing and acting. She said she had little kids coming up to her and telling her how much they liked her performance, as well as adults.

Here's what I'm trying to understand. Why do they all want me to do it? M and the drama teachers telling me I should do it says to me that somehow they've gotten into their heads that I have a talent for drama. Here's my other thing: I feel ready to puke thinking about even considering trying out for the play.

Got any advice? Advice on good auditions, overcoming shyness, doing well in a play, not being nervous, whatever it is, I'll take it.

Last edited:
Maybe everyone thinks this would be something good for you to learn from and grow from. I used to be terrified when I had to do public speaking including the infamous nausea. I had an instructor "Jeff" who wanted me to teach and to assist with seminars. I eventually forced myself to get up there and do it. I pretended to be someone who was confident up there in front of everyone instead of scared out of my mind. Now I enjoy public speaking, teaching, and have done some minor dramatic roles. I know now that Jeff was pushing me to evolve as a person and I am better for it. I hope you find a way to get up there and find your inner strength and confidence.

I noticed something important that I gorgot to mention. One of my teachers, whom I'm pretty close to, is the choir teacher. Since there's music in a play, she's involved and I believe she and the drama teacher work together on the auditions. I talked to her about this, and she's one of the ones who wants me to do it. I said maybe I'll be lucky and not even get a part. She said, "Be prepared to get one." So apparently she really really thinks I can get a part.

I'm not shy, I've never been shy, I've done stage work my entire life. I did my first play in 1st grade, I was Lucy in Charlie Brown and I loved it. That being said let me tell you why I think they are encouraging you to do this. I had friends that would rather take an F than give an oral presentation, I've students that were the same way. In all of these kids I saw and I've seen a potential just waiting to be developed. When you are shy it's hard to talk to people as yourself,, but on stage you are someone else, someone you may have only ever dreamed of being. By acting you give yourself the chance to be free, to be someone else and to face your fears through an alternate personality and it's safe. But by allowing yourself this freedom you grow in other ways and it's not so hard to deal with people you don't know anymore. We all roll play as children, when you dress up or you become the cowboy, or the astronaut or bank robber,, sometimes you have to stretch yourself beyond your comfort limits to break through those barriers of shyness. Your teachers and friends probably see you totally different from the way you see yourself and they admire you for who they see you as.

You might find this interesting:
http://www.shakeyourshyness.com/shypeople.htm

Amen to the taking an F over the oral presentation! Somehow I got talked into giving a speech at a PTF meeting in front of the Headmaster, principals, parents, other kids....I thought I would die. I did live, though, and quite a few people, English teacher included, told me I did well.

The funny thing about this is I think I know at least one reason why M wants me to do this. M was very shy before the play, and she and both the choir and drama teacher will tell you that she was, but she has come out of her shell quite a bit since being the lead role in the play. I think M and some of the others are hoping this is exactly what will happen to me. However, seeing as I haven't done much in plays before, I feel my best (maybe only) chance is a role with no lines or just one or two. I highly doubt I'd be getting any important roles. Therefore, I kind of fail to see how I would really learn much, but I still think it could be fun to try, if I don't die first.

Self-confidence, you need a healthy dose of it. Just the act of being on stage in front of people, even without lines can really help you with your self-confidence and belief in yourself. No one expects you to take the lead in War and Peace for your first trip out, baby steps!

M and my other friend tell me that all the time. I just wish I could figure out where to get a whole bunch of it, because I have about zilch. I think I'm slowly gaining some, though. I didn't even know M before the play. After it, I complimented her on her wonderful job in the play, and now we talk every day!

kargo,
I can not tell why people are encouraging you to do public speaking. But my thinking is because you have talent!!!
Being shy and nervous in public are actually common traits of the best of the best performers. Many actors are scared to death of the public! You learn to "hide behind" your performance. It is a learned skill and comes in handy for us shy types.
wink.png

In a past life I did quite a bit of public speaking to groups of 10 to 500 people. I was in medical and lectured to Technologists, Radiologist, Physicist and Administrators. (Traditional stand at the podium slide presentation kind of lecture.) I did this quite regularly for nearly 20 years!

You say you feel like puking just thinking about it..... Yep! That feeling does not necessarily go away. I've thrown up in the bathroom minuets before going on stage many times! Even after many years of lecturing, my mouth would be dry and I would be so nervous and sick feeling before going on stage.

Why is it worth it? Why did I continue to do it? It is the RUSH! Wow after you come off stage and had a successful performance the feeling is incredible! It is quite a nice feeling and quite addictive..
cool.png

I suggest you go for it! My first play was in 5th grade, I was in debate for a year in high school. I look back on life and wished I would have done more much more public performance when I was younger.

Figure out how to channel and transform all that sick feeling and shyness energy into the performance. Project your self with every thing you have from the very bottom of your heart. Give it your all!

I wish you success!!

ON

But how do they know I do? That's really all I want to do. I mean, yes, I can write. Yes, I've been told I'm a good writer by a lot of people. Does that mean I can sing? Well, actually, that's debatable. M and my other friends, plus my choir teacher think I'm good. I think I'm pretty bad, but I guess I must not be if so many people tell me I'm not. Does that mean I can act? Well, maybe. Everyone seems to have loads of confidence that I can, everyone but me, that is.

I admit, the feeling that I did well and being able to say "I was in the school play!" sound appealing, but first I have to have enough talent to get into it. I would like to do it, but honestly, I don't know. Would getting all worked up over just a small part (if I can even get a part!) be worth it?

I also admit, I feel a little timid because everyone knows that I'm friends with M and adore her. I don't want them to expect me to be like her. One of the teachers tells me, "She's in a class of her own." And she truly is. If anyone wants to see a sample of how amazing she was in the play this year, which, by the way, was Wizard of Oz, let me know. Then maybe you'll understand why I'm worried.

Kargo...Go for it.

And don't look back. Don't let it ever be about how good someone
else is. Or about the size of the part.

Let it be only about how good you are. It isn't about being the best
one on stage. You need only to be the best YOU can be.

Small parts are just as important as the big parts.

From the ticket office, to the props department, to the janitor to the
star of the show....they each one carry a part of the load.

And all those parts come out as a WHOLE.

So grab your dancing shoes and head for that stage.

You will never regret it...

Back
Top Bottom