Acting strange, cant walk

Bejep714

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
South East PA
Yesterday one of our hens didnt come over for treats and I found he sitting down panting. It was 97 degrees yesterday and just as hot today so I assumed it was heat related and brought her inside and gave he time to cool off. Shes back out now and seems to be limping around and sitting down alot. Everyone is panting so I dont think its heat related anymore, I have had chickens with eggs getting stuck problems, but she looks fine and isnt showing any symptoms. What could it be

How old is she, and does she lay eggs? Has she started her yearly molt? Can you offer her some electrolytes and vitamins? Can you see which leg she is limping on, and look her legs over for any swelling at a joint, bumblefoot scab, or green bruising.

We recently got them from someone and I dont know the age. She did lay an egg yesterday, but she still wont walk alot. Other than that she seems fine. Here is a picture of her, I set her down by the water and she stood up while drinking. The other picture is from her back tailfeathers. I dont know what it is

Here are the photos

Attachments

• 20230908_171201.jpg
    20230908_171201.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230908_171330.jpg
    20230908_171330.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 5
She does have a lot of lice eggs clinging to her feather shafts and is in need of external parasite treatment.

Has she already been wormed lately? If not, I would worm her and the others you got recently thoroughly and see if her droppings get back to normal afterwards.

Feel her lower abdomen, is it swollen, bloated, firm or rather squishy? Like a water filled balloon?

Her nails are quite long and should get trimmed a bit to make walking easier for her.

Back
Top Bottom