Acting weird and standing upright

She has some of the symptoms of the Salpingitis.. I don’t have a vet near by that treats chickens. Without having a vet what do I do to help her?

I have a two and a half year old a Rhode Island Red who was almost standing upright but with her bottom low to the ground. She isn’t eating much but is drinking a lot. She hasn’t laid an egg for at least a month or longer. had white stuff dried up on her bum feathers.. her crop is medium in size and squishy.. n
She does feel swollen a little bit.. I checked and there is no egg that I can feel. I felt her crop and it’s gurgling when you squish it. It sounds like she burps sometimes if that makes sense.
Oh and she isn’t walking much if at all... she just stands upright like a penguin and then lays down.
It feels similar to a water balloon. She did go to the bathroom but it’s all white and liquid but I’m thinking it’s because she has drank a lot of water.?? I put her in a warm dark area so she can rest. She has a medicine like smell to her. Not sour or foul smelling.. almost like a dentist office smell.
I agree with @CluckNDoodle I would treat her for Sour Crop, the gurgling, burping and crop feeling like a water balloon, that's where I would start. Don't massage the crop since it could cause her to aspirate. I would follow the information in @azygous article - I've used it a few times with my hens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Do keep in mind that often there is an underlying condition that's causing the crop symptoms. With a penguin stance, it would be worth feeling inside the vent for an egg. Feel the abdomen for swelling/bloat or fluid - since she's not laid an egg in a while, she may be suffering from a reproductive disorder that is causing inflammation in the body and this is slowing everything down.

Keep us posted on how she's getting along.

I’m beginning to think my hen has more than one problem. I checked her belly again and now it feels very firm and more swollen. So I thought I would check again to see if I could feel an egg. I could feel something in there That was bigger than an egg size and it certainly made her very uncomfortable because she started to stomp her legs. What do I do now?

I’m beginning to think my hen has more than one problem. I checked her belly again and now it feels very firm and more swollen. So I thought I would check again to see if I could feel an egg. I could feel something in there That was bigger than an egg size and it certainly made her very uncomfortable because she started to stomp her legs. What do I do now?
Hard to know what to do.
Did you feel the something inside the oviduct or through tissue (like it is in the abdomen)?

She’s still alive but I don’t know how much longer she’s going to make it. Her abdomen is very swollen and feels very hot to the touch. She is still drinking a lot of water and can hardly stand. When I have checked to see if she is egg bound it feels like there is a very large mass in there.. much larger than an egg. Is it time for me to put her down?

She’s still alive but I don’t know how much longer she’s going to make it. Her abdomen is very swollen and feels very hot to the touch. She is still drinking a lot of water and can hardly stand. When I have checked to see if she is egg bound it feels like there is a very large mass in there.. much larger than an egg. Is it time for me to put her down?

I'm so so sorry, I almost always say it's worth waiting to see what happens, but in this case it doesn't sound like time or treatment would make a difference. :hugs You've done everything to let her know she's loved. You can either try to keep her as comfortable as possible until she passes naturally or you can end any possible suffering. It's whatever you're more comfortable with.

I'm so sorry she's not well :hugs
Only you can make the decision whether it's time to let her go, but if you feel she's suffering, it would be a kindness to put her out of her misery.

I couldn’t let her suffer anymore so I had my son put her down. I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I feel so bad but I don’t think she would have gotten better and she was already panting trying to breathe.

:hugs I'm sorry, I know it's hard. I really feel you did the right thing and ended her suffering. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom