Acting WEIRD choked on grape

Is he normally outside with other chickens? Put your ear to his mouth and listen to him breathing, does it sound normal or like a whistle sound? Is his crop feel normal or hard or air filled? What part of the world are you in? Has he been out on wet ground? Sorry for all the questions, but there are a few diff things that could be wrong
his crop feels normal, I live in CA. Hes not normally around other chickens, he has been in kinda wet ground. He was fluffing in my garden pots and the soil was moist. His breathing sounds normal too. His mouth color is normal also, and his temperature and heart rate all are fine.

Is he normally outside with other chickens? Put your ear to his mouth and listen to him breathing, does it sound normal or like a whistle sound? Is his crop feel normal or hard or air filled? What part of the world are you in? Has he been out on wet ground? Sorry for all the questions, but there are a few diff things that could be wrong
should I let him continue napping or should I keep him awake?

Sorry about your cockerel. It does appear in the last video that he has something stuck in his throat or airway, or possibly, the esophagus. You can easily feel the boney rings or prominence that covers the trachea or airway in the front of his neck. The esophagus is just behind or aside it. Do you feel anything between the beak and the crop? Can you get a pair of extra hands, and look down into his open beak into his throat with a flashlight? Make sure that the grape isn’t stuck inside his besk as well. Have you been with him since he swallowed the grape, and did he lose consciousness or stop breathing at any time?

His imbalance could be related to something like Mareks disease if he didn’t aspirate the grape. But I’m not sure. If you cannot see the grape stuck in his throat, I would be tempted to pass a feeding tube down the right side of his throat into his crop, to push the grape out of the way. This could be risky, so if you can take him to a vet, that would be best. Here is a picture of where to insert a syringe or a feeding tube in the back right side of his throat, avoiding the airway or trachea (large hole at the base of the tongue. A length of plastic aquarium air tubing can be used as a feeding tube. Melt one end to soften the shamrp edges, and let it cool before inserting into the crop. You don’t need to feed anything, just pass it to the crop.

upload_2018-11-4_18-12-29.jpeg

Okay, I just saw your post after typing mine. He may have coughed the obstruction out of his airway or swallowed the grape. Continue to keep an eye on him, and let us know if he still is stumbling later.

Back
Top Bottom